free website stats program Getting back on, 833 or 1200? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting back on, 833 or 1200?

Cedarbrook63 that tank is tiny! However, she is usually ready for a break after 80-100 miles anyway. The tank capacity is the only thing I'd change about the 48 but then it wouldn't be a 48, would it? If she likes it, so do I...

... If she likes it, so do I...

Best reason to like it Danthern!
It's cool that your wife likes to ride a bike with you - lets you share some good times and we all know - there's not a whole lot of ways to get some fresh air that's better.
Ride safe and enjoy.

Cedarbrook:

I know your post wasn't directed to me, but I had an 883 with the small tank and it was a nuisance - and I only rode it around town. For a lot of folks, it isn't. I just hate going to the gas station!

i would go with the 1200. it seems like a lot of people with the 883 want to upgrade to the 1200.

I'm a former SS (600 Ninja) rider that returned after awhile. Still got 3 kids at home so, budget still is a major concern.

The 1200 is a joy to ride. I'm 5'8" and a "stocky" 200 lbs. Stage 1 upgrades with SE II slip ons. She pulls just fine. Not looking for more power or afraid it has too much. It's just right, it does the job well solo.

I wouldn't take the wife anywhere other than the pub on the back. My daughters don't mind a 45 minute trip for ice cream but, when they get home, they don't bug me for another ride for quite awhile.

Lastly, I ride with others and as the only Sporty, I feel bad they have to stop for me to fuel up.

Here is a two up with my bro in law. Fun but, not pretty.

Attachments

• SDC10034.jpg
    SDC10034.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 25
I am also in agreement with Nakkers...only me and my pillion partner add up to about 250 lbs of 2-up weight, not terrible but certainly tough on a Sportster which is not particularly good for "touring" duty, but manageable.

My pillion partner said it is much more comfortable than most of my previous Sport bike set ups...(though she says my brand Y "Standard" bike w/ flat seat, sissy bar and rack outback w/ shaft drive had "Cadillac" accomodation). While I have Progressive shocks, I still have to put the preload to the max on my lowered Sporty and I do drag hardware when heeled over on bumpy roads.

Cedarbrook:

I know your post wasn't directed to me, but I had an 883 with the small tank and it was a nuisance - and I only rode it around town. For a lot of folks, it isn't. I just hate going to the gas station!

Lucy I must agree. The only thing I don't like about my sporty is the small tank. Other than that, Especially after the stage 1 upgrade, it is perfect for me at this time. However a certain vivid black Road King has been trying to get my attention.......

I now ride a 883 low and like ALL bikes it has it's quirks but I have no problem keeping up with the group I ride with. We ride out most weekends some short but most long and I feel fine although I have tweaked the suspension and have forward controls for comfort.
Plenty of bigger Harley's in the group but the only complaint I have received was when I took the lead was that I went too fast!
I'm in Australia and the fastest legal speed here is 110k however I have taken mine up to 150k and still had plenty of throttle to go, I guess it's up to you how fast you wish to ride.
That said I fully understand what the guy's are saying to you as at $10k you have plenty of choice, take your time and try plenty of different Harley's before you spend you're hard earned money.

I don't know if that 2009 Dyna, Chop had posted for sale is still available or would be available by the time the OP returned but, for a few bucks over 10k, it is one sweet ride.

I bought a new Custom 883 in 2008 against the advice of my Harley mechanic. He stated that it would beat me to death on long rides. A couple of months later with only 200 miles on it, I traded it for my 2008 FXDL. The Sporster believe it or not was harder to ride due to high center of gravity and gearing. It was a very costly mistake but, I love my Low Rider. :D

Back