free website stats program Getting back on, 833 or 1200? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting back on, 833 or 1200?

Ride a Dyna you will not be disappointed, it is a Big Twin with a lot of punch and a lot more comfort for two up riding:s

Like you, I got back into riding after a long, long break buying an 883 Sportster. I loved it - the way it handles but wanted a bit more power and oomph so I had it upgraded to 1200 - more torque and acceleration.

I've ridden that bike to Belgium and back through Northern France - doing near 400 miles in a day and it felt good. It's excellent in the twisty hilly roads around where I live. It's nippy around town. I've added bags and detachable screen, which goes against what many people think you should do to a Sportster but my bike, my choice as they say and it suits me.

Worst experience yet was 2up with my son (about 6 foot - taller than me). Bike felt cramped and unhappy.

Easiest bike I've ever ridden was a Heritage Softail - like a big comfy armchair with a motor. But rubbish on the bends compared to the Sporty.

Just a few thoughts which might help - best advice is try some different bikes and think about how you want to use it.
Good luck and welcome to HDtalking.

p.s. let us know what you decide on and post a pic.

Nothing wrong with a sportster at all its simple you buy a better seat like a mustang add progressve shocks and all ur problems are solved as far as distance riding, its called after market parts

I'm getting back into riding after about 10 years off and looking into the Sportster models. I don't want anything to big, only want to spend about 10k, and haven't ridden in a while so am looking at the Sportsters. Question is 833 or 1200? My only reference in power difference between models is I have ridden 600cc and 900cc CBR's and the 900 was far more powerful of a machine which weighed roughly the same. I have read some posts that say get the 833 and up grade it later, and others that say go for the 1200. Money is not the issue but if there is no real difference why waist it. Plus it looks like some of them only come 833. I do want to be able to have the wife on the back.

Thanks to anyone who helps.

Having also come from the metric crowd, you are no newbie when it comes to high center of gravity and quick steering. I went with the 2004 XL1200R Sportster and it matched up quite well, with dual disc brakes (2 finger stops), plenty of torque (no need to row the gearbox), key thing the weight is much lighter (175-to 200 lbs less) than the Big Twins and Twin Cams...! Yes the Dynas and Touring Bikes are nice, but right now the Sporty suits me just fine. :p

BUT I also got my bike used as price was also a consideration, and as others have said, in that arena, timing, opportunity, finances, comfort and convenience are the drivers here. While new is nice...you have to weigh in on how much maintenance and riding you are going to do. :s

Buying new means you can get extended warranty and start off fresh...used means accepting how it is which is why heavily modified bikes do not necessarily go for a high price. Look in the Self Help tips section on how to buy a bike, and above all do not let them run your credit check or sign anything until you have agreed on the final price WITH all the negotiated options and such in writing. Good luck and happy hunting! :D

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/440-tips_buying_new_motorcycle.html

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/441-choosing_a_motorcycle.html

If you have decided on the sportster, I would go with the 1200. When I bought mine, I had previously tested an 883 and was not impressed with its performance vs the 1200. Having said that, if you plan riding 2 up I do not think you will like it too much on a sportster, just not enough room on the frame and hitting bottom will be a problem on the standard suspension. As others have mentioned, the Dynas or Softies will be a better choice for 2 up, there are times I cannot even feel her on the back. Good luck!

I also had taken a few years off from riding and bought a 1200 Sporty as my first bike back. After much $ on seats, shocks and fork spring kits I gave up trying to be comfortable solo. It was worse with the wife on back. First ride on a Heritage Softail was like a dream come true. A softail is even easier to ride and way more stable at speed with the lower center of gravity. Sporties are great for what they are, a light, quick bike. And a couple year old Heritage, Deluxe or Fat Boy can be had for 10K or less.

I just bought my first ever bike this last spring! I was concerned after taking the safety course (form what the instructors told me) about going too big and considered metric bikes in the 600cc range and after talking to my friends they said don't waste time with a smaller powered bike if you have half a brain and take your time learning to get used to it. I went with a 2010 super glide custom and glad I did. I was worried about nothing! The 96 inch motor accelerates GREAT and never had a problem getting used to the throttle.......drove it right out of the dealership! My suggestion is don't worry about getting a motor that is "too big"....especially on a cruiser! The stock harley is smooth accelerating! If you are sold on a sportster definately go with the 1200 but if you plan to go two up for any length of time get a dyna.....I put my wife on mine the second week I had it and she is comfortable and has just enough leg room for a couple of hours on the back. On a sportster I think she would be cramped!

OK, my story is the same as most others. I was away from riding for a LONG time (over 25 years). I wanted to start back and only a Harley would do. I assumed that since the Sporty was smaller it would be the right bike for me. I am 5'3" tall and about 110 lbs. I was never completely comfortable with the bike and longed for something larger and lower gravity. I now own a 2005 Softail Deluxe and will have that bike for many years. The ride is so much better - and easier.

Sporty's are great and can be a lot of fun to ride - solo. If you want to take nice cruises with your wife on the back, a Dyna or Softail would probably suit you better. There are a lot of low mileage bikes available for a song right now. Just look on Ebay!

Best of luck as you make your decision and get back on the road!

Another thing... I know that the stats may show otherwise on papaer (light person solo on a Sportster vs two people on a Big Twin) BUT... I have done a lot of group riding and in the group were two little ladies on Sportsters. The big complaint from them was always being able to keep up with the pack. You would think that a 110 pound lady on a 883 would have no problem keeping up with a big twin loaded down, but its not true. At least not "perceived" to be true, and that is what power is all about. The dyno might say different but real power, or lack of, is "perceived".

Back