free website stats program Get a load of this | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Get a load of this

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago at Destination during bike week I was blabbing to the guy from Toyota that I didn't that Toyota should be in NASCAR. He told me that the Toyota was the only US built car in NASCAR. He kind of shut me up.
Ken

Destination is a very cool part of Bike Week. Not sure which I enjoyed more, Destination or the Iron Horse, both are very good times.

As far as the US thing I guess I don't care 'who' builds um here, just as long as we keep as many jobs here as possible. As Gasbag said though we are gonna have to compete to win them, the honeymoon days are over. If Toyota or whoever wants to invest here, why heck yea, that's kinda the opposite of so many of our Corporation going over there and doing the same.

You answered your own question.
We are living in a world economy. The time has passed when a nation could isolate itself from the rest of the world economically. It is no longer possible.

I totally agree. The big auto makers and companies like Harley can't afford to make all the parts needed to build a car or bike so they out-source to companies who specialize building some of the parts like fuel injections or bearings or whatever. They want to buy the parts as cheap as possible (who wouldn't) so the supplying companies move to wherever in the world they have to to be competitive. Our standard of living is too high in Canada or the US to have wages low enough to compete with some countries so lots of companies are going off-shore so they can stay competitive. If everything was made in North America we couldn't afford to buy most things without wages going up again and we'd be back in the same situation. Free-trade is here to stay. JMHO

I totally agree. The big auto makers and companies like Harley can't afford to make all the parts needed to build a car or bike so they out-source to companies who specialize building some of the parts like fuel injections or bearings or whatever. They want to buy the parts as cheap as possible (who wouldn't) so the supplying companies move to wherever in the world they have to to be competitive. Our standard of living is too high in Canada or the US to have wages low enough to compete with some countries so lots of companies are going off-shore so they can stay competitive. If everything was made in North America we couldn't afford to buy most things without wages going up again and we'd be back in the same situation. Free-trade is here to stay. JMHO

Well yea I get what you are saying, but any jobs 'we can get' the better right now. For about 25% of the US, our current standard of living ain't squat right now. Many of us are laid off or worse lost their homes etc, which tends to snowball because none of us can afford to buy much stuff. There's a lot of folks now that would take low paying jobs just to have one.

I understand you can't stop the inevitable so in a sense I agree with you. But none the less I sense an empty feeling because we won the second world war to a large extent because of our industrial might. We literally rebuilt the Navy in a short period of time. Much of that industrial might (that Yamamoto quoted as the sleeping giant) has left and is else where, possibly on our next enemies shores. If Toyota and Honda can come here and do it then I don't see why more 'American' companies can't. Maybe they need to rethink strategies etc. Maybe our Unions need to get more realistic with the current times. Don't know all the answers, but willing to try.

But I ain't holden my breath on it. What ever will be will be. It's been a good ride so far, guess I can't complain no matter what happens. When ever I think about hard times that are (or yet to come) I always remember the way the Vietnamese people had to live, and I get a real level sense of balance from that.

I got a private message from a very intelligent source on the subject of jobs that lots of Americans won't take due to their tough or disgusting nature. It was a very good point and thought I would also throw that out here. Our sitiuation is a complex one and I don't have all the answers and certainly don't want to start a multi-sided debate that goes wild.

But alway like to hear and learn any information that leads us all to a better awareness of what is or possibly could be. A nation more aware of it's own reality is a stronger more secure nation.

In fact the intelligent source I refer to gave some more insight into import export tariffs that I also enjoyed reading. It's all about making things work in yes a global world now.

But whatever, don't want to get all serious on ya. Hey there is always BBQ and beer.

As far as the US thing I guess I don't care 'who' builds um here, just as long as we keep as many jobs here as possible.

I posted a remark about this a few months back on a similar subject! I have been driving Subarus for years now. My Uncle tried to lecture me about driving American cars in his driveway when I was visiting a few years ago. he owned a Chevy S10 pickup at the time. I asked him to look at the data plate on his S10.....yup.....assembled in Mexico. Subarus have been assembled in Elkhart Indiana from Japanese parts for decades. Just as many American workers or maybe more have touched my Subaru as his Chevy. It is a global economy that is for sure!

I got a private message from a very intelligent source on the subject of jobs that lots of Americans won't take due to their tough or disgusting nature. It was a very good point and thought I would also throw that out here. Our sitiuation is a complex one and I don't have all the answers and certainly don't want to start a multi-sided debate that goes wild.

But alway like to hear and learn any information that leads us all to a better awareness of what is or possibly could be. A nation more aware of it's own reality is a stronger more secure nation.

In fact the intelligent source I refer to gave some more insight into import export tariffs that I also enjoyed reading. It's all about making things work in yes a global world now.

But whatever, don't want to get all serious on ya. Hey there is always BBQ and beer.

I am an IT Engineer, I use to work at Ford Motor Company in Dearborn Mi. The Senior VP of Application Development Services for North America had a brown bag luncheon. He told us the reason why Ford Motor seeks to go to India and China for their Engineers is that their are No Qualified Americans to do the Job. I guess us Americans are too (EDIT) stupid. It is more like us American Engineers are not willing to work for 15K per year without medical or any other benefits. Ford can't find skilled American workers who are willing to work for less than 5.00 per hour.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back