free website stats program Gen 3.5 Drop In Cruising Gas Mileage | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gen 3.5 Drop In Cruising Gas Mileage

1) Assuming the the unit is a Gen3.5
2) Assuming that the Ground wire Glider talked about is Hooked Up & OK.
3) Assuming that the unit is not toast and is in good working condition.

Then,,,
I would say mode number 5 which is now set at a value of 4 needs to be much higher.

Sounds like the "switch over point" from cruise to acceleration is much too early. That is why your fuel consumption is low. The Gen 3.5 thinks your always accelerating.

i think thats a good call

The following is an excerpt from EJK website......

GEN 3 vs GEN 3.5 EJK Controllers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GEN 3 and GEN 3.5 controllers evolved out of the need to address the ever-increasing complexity of factory fuel injection and make it as simple as possible. GEN 3 is the short term used to describe the Generation 3 Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) controller. GEN 3.5 is a complete software and hardware update, which now allows the ability to add and subtract fuel. Both controllers are piggy-back EFI controllers because they do not replace the stock ECU, but rather monitor the signals to the injectors and make fuel adjustments based on the mode settings. Each controller has a push button interface allowing access up to 6 different modes to allow for quick fine-tuning by the end user without needing a computer.

KEY SIMILAR FEATURES:
• USES LOAD BASED TECHNOLOGY WHICH ALLOWS FOR TUNING IN EVERY GEAR
• ABILITY TO ADD FUEL WITHOUT ALTERING THE STOCK FUEL MAP
• CARBERATOR TUNING LOGIC - CRUISE, ACCELERATION, FULL THROTTLE ZONES
• EASY TO SEE LED LIGHTS TO INDICATE OPERATING ZONE
• PUSH BUTTON INTERFACE TO ALLOW QUICK FINE TUNING
• EASY INSTALLATION

KEY DIFFERENCES:
• THE GEN 3 CONTROLLER ADDS FUEL BY OFFSETTING THE PULSE WIDTH A GIVEN FIXED VALUE. i.e. - you add 1 ms of pulse width
• THE GEN 3.5 CONTROLLER CAN ADD OR SUBTRACT FUEL BY CALCULATING A PERCENTAGE OF THE STOCK INJECTOR PULSE WIDTH. i.e. - you can subtract 10% fuel

Yep to that, but I bet he is "Whooping" it up because it likely confirms his diagnosis...:D

I bet Hoople has smoke coming out his ear's by now, the wheels in his head are going 100 MPH:newsmile040:

Now that's a good one!

Sorry Doc about your situation. I was thinking about changing out my old TFI 4 "dial pot" unit with a newer Gen, thinking it would be better. Heck, I'm not even thinking about it any more. BTW, 1.5 yrs with V&H mufflers, Big Sucker and TFI, I'm right around 39-42 mpg.

I hope this all works out for you.

Ride safe have fun and stay warm this weekend! Even chilly down here in FL, 43% tonight at my house in Volusia.

Well, this either simplifies things or complicates them. Either way I'm preparing a large plate of "crow" to dine upon.

Just got off the phone with Chris at Dobeck. Seems like I misread my chicken scratch notes or some other way convinced myself that I had the GEN 3.5 controller. I actually have a GEN 3 that's mislabeled as a 3.5. Therefore all the talk about setting the numbers too low and actually subtracting fuel do not apply - you can only do this with the 3.5. Also, i returned to the website support section where they give recommended Stage I settings and once I got on the proper page (GEN 3, 2008 to 2009 Touring with O2 bypass) the settings were almost exactly what Chris had told me several months ago.

So now back to my original problem. I've either got the green setting too high (cruise fuel) or the yellow/blue setting too low (cruise/accel switch point.) I'm going to try and dismount the controller and move it somewhere so I can see it while I ride and make sure the yellow accel lights aren't coming on while simply cruising at mid to high RPM's like my ride home from Florida.

I'll try to update this thread in case anyone's still interested.

Doc I used velcro with 2 way tape on my console for the set up,when you are done pull it off and clean with a bit of dish soap:D

I've got it sitting right where the nose of the seat hits the gas tank. Just enough wire length to feed it up there and it doesn't look like it's going to move around much but I'll secure it anyway. Funny thing is it's upside down so I'll have to think backwards as I'm monitoring the lights and modes!

Back