free website stats program gas tank | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

gas tank

thanks.... I don't know much about the mechanics of the machine. Just needed some input on what might work.

appreciated!:worthy

Mary, you can buy a new seat retainer insert socket, for the empty hole in the fender for about $5 (which is the socket and C clip) if you opt for a solo seat. Use a medium size Zip tie to hold socket and reach up between tire and fender and "eventually you will poke the pointed end of the zip tie out and thru, guide it up, snap the C clip and your done...the solo seat will have a hold down point.

BTW, you might pick up the new 2010 HD Parts and Accessories Catalog...they have a whole bunch of new stuff for Sporties including seats, fuel guage that replaces the cap on your master cylinder front brake cover...way cool...expensive but cool!

I have a fatbob and it's great. Gives the bike a better look, but a big tank on a stock bike needs some extra stuff, I also have a Mustang seat and leather bags. Gets me about 150 miles before I need fuel.

Ive got the 4.2 tank on my Sporty, and I get about 180-200 depending on if Im hard on it or not, lol....But if you do change ur seat mary, and need a factory seat of a XL custom, Ive got mine just sitting in the garage since I went with the Sundowner seat.

p.s. I wasnt sure if thats what he meant by a custom sporty seat, which is why I offered, if Im wrong, my appologies, lol.

I put a 4 gal peanut tank on my 96 sporty, only problem I had was the petcock didnt sit quite right and I had to spin it 90 degrees so it would work.

I have a softail tank on my sporty and didnt have to make much mods to get it to fit right. Looks good too with a lower profile.

Back