free website stats program gas tank | Harley Davidson Forums

gas tank

sward

I am lookin for a fat bob tank for my spoty , any one got any ideas? Or better yet, anyone got one ready to mount???

One of my sportsters 1996 has a fat tank that holds about 4 gallons. It has been lowered though, and actually handles a little better than my 2002 model. I'm not sure an extra 5 to 10 lbs up in the tank area would make that much difference in handling on a street bike.
The fat tank does give the bike a wider and bigger look, and it is a better looking bike overall.

I purchased a old peanut tank for my 2000 sportster. ive runned into a problem were the peanut tank has the fuel drain under the tank that goes into the throttle, on the right side of the bike if your sitting on it, were the stock tank is on the left. is there anything i can do, or is there anything out there that will link it from one side to the other, or am i going to have to do some crafty mods? any help will be greatly appreciated. semper fi

I have a bigger custom made tank for my sporty, but haven't installed it yet.

The guy I bought the bike from had it special made and painted to match bike color. Told me it cost him 400.00 for completed tank.

harley 004.jpg

I'm going to put it on and try it out.

Not sure but I think it's a 4 Gal.

I purchased a old peanut tank for my 2000 sportster. ive runned into a problem were the peanut tank has the fuel drain under the tank that goes into the throttle, on the right side of the bike if your sitting on it, were the stock tank is on the left. is there anything i can do, or is there anything out there that will link it from one side to the other, or am i going to have to do some crafty mods? any help will be greatly appreciated. semper fi

the older sporty tanks had the petcock on the right side when fiting a larger tank with the petcock on the left had to remove the fuel pipe to the carb and fit a longer one to reach
so if you have a long fuel pipe going to the left side reroute the pipe and cut to suitable lenght or replace fuel pipe with a sorter one

Brian

True, but when HD eliminated the 1 gallon peanut, they didn't change anything to accommodate the 3 gallon tank, right? I mean as far as frame design or seat off-set...I think they just increased the tank size and bolted it on.

You are correct, except on my 04 Roadster sporty, I had to change the seat as well, because the 4.2 gal tank from 05 Custom sporty is longer, changing the seat front mounting...which is okay, I like the change to the Drag Specialties Flame pattern seat and with a sheepskin gel pad outback, my gal loves it too! :D

You could also go with a solo seat and save the pillion area for a rear low profile fender rack maintaining the "minimalist" sports, rough and ready feel the solo bike look imparts.:newsmile045:

Last edited:
This is something I have been tossing around as well. My 07 has a 3.8 gal and I fall just a bit short of keeping up with my usual crew on our longer rides when it come to my fuel needs. (They are forever asking me if I need to fuel). I really do appreciate their concern and am glad they are thinking about me but it would be nice to have that extra gallon to clear that last leg of the trip without having to stop before everyone else.

Does anyone know if there is a bigger tank that would fit my sporty without doing MAJOR mods? I'm not worried about the extra weight. She's lowered about as low as she can go now and I don't think the few extra lbs would be enough to seriously affect the handling.

thanks

Bigger tank only requires change in seat off the custom sportster (which also has the larger 4.2 gal tank, due to the length, but uses the same mounting holes and front lip ledge. Piece of cake and part numbers match up...! My '04 XL1200RS came with 3.2 gal tank, put an '05 XL1200C tank color matched, and aftermarket Drag Specialties seat (small pillion for 2-up)...but there is a separate hole for solo seat if that is your preference.

Back