free website stats program Gas tank upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas tank upgrade

TexasGirl

I have a 2008 Sportster 883 xl low (8,000 miles) and I would like to put a bigger gas tank on it. What can I get away with without overwhelming the frame or my riding comfort? Pick of bike attached. I did do a search and found nothing, but feel free to link one if you know of one. This is my first post, so be kind.

Attachments

• 53812483-2DD9-4D45-900B-DB323808F14C.jpeg
    53812483-2DD9-4D45-900B-DB323808F14C.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 9
Take a look at a Dyna gastank , most of them are 5 gallons a think. So a gain off 0, 5 gallon if I ,am correct.
Also keep in mind tank for carburated , or injection type.

Good Luck.

Your 883cc Sportster should have the 3.3 gallon fuel tank as standard, so look for the 4.5 gallon fuel tank from a 1200cc model. Should be a direct fit as the frames for 2008 are the same model number.

Both tanks would be set for fuel injection; Harley made FI standard across their lines in model year 2007.

There is an outside chance the seat will need modifying.

Take a look at Ronnie's HD website. He has the microfiche with part numbers and prices. Enter your model year then pick your model from the list. Works like a charm.

Good luck with your search, and keep us posted on your project and how resolved. Photos appreciated.

I did know about the 1200 being compatible. And thanks for the website reference. I will definitely check it out. Someone I met at o’Riley’s the other night that restores and sells H-Ds recommended a small fat boy set up since the small tanks were more expensive. It comes in a kit and the main piece clips on the frame or gets welded. What do you think?

Your 883cc Sportster should have the 3.3 gallon fuel tank as standard, so look for the 4.5 gallon fuel tank from a 1200cc model. Should be a direct fit as the frames for 2008 are the same model number.

Both tanks would be set for fuel injection; Harley made FI standard across their lines in model year 2007.

There is an outside chance the seat will need modifying.

Take a look at Ronnie's HD website. He has the microfiche with part numbers and prices. Enter your model year then pick your model from the list. Works like a charm.

Good luck with your search, and keep us posted on your project and how resolved. Photos appreciated.

Just wanted to let you know that Ronnie’s H-D website doesn’t have any information on the fuel tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back