free website stats program FXR Starter question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

FXR Starter question

I'm slugging my way through the same problem, give or take. I have replaced the solenoid, relay, starter switch, overrun clutch (jack shaft gear #56 in the pic), solenoid springs, etc. when i hit the starter button i get a loud grinding sound and sometimes the bike will fire. i've taken the primary cover off and manually actuated the solenoid (be careful, never do this with the battery cables attached, daddy almost lost the tip of his finger!); after manual activation, I put the cover back on for the support bearing, and got the bike to fire normally. But after a couple engagements, the thing slips or otherwise loses it's alignment and goes bad again. I'm thinking the linkage/solenoid rod is somehow binding and the loud noise i'm getting is an intemittent engagement of the jackshaft gear. The "new" solenoid could be bad, i.e. not enough juice in the magnet to pull the plunger in and hold it while the starter fires. This Rube Goldberg device is a nightmare. If anyone has more insight, bring it. I'm about )( this close to torching the piece of (EDITED) and rolling it down the road. I feel and live your pain, especially since it's already bike weather down south (it's always bike weather here!) thanks.

Please read this...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the teeth on the ring gear to see if they are chewed up and also the battery cables and connections for resistance.

Appreciate the info; best as i can tell, the ring gear teeth are darn near perfect, no grinding or other tell-tales (excessive metal in the primary fluid, worn edges, etc.). Of course, it's 23 years old too, but a cop bike that hasn't really been overworked or over-ridden. The battery cables are new or new enough (less than 3 years old) and the bike did fine for 1500+ miles after a complete overhaul (frame up). I didn't re-adjust my clutch, like an idiot, after Myrtle Beach, and burnt the tar out of the throw-out bearing. This grinding starter thing kind of just started happening... Now the clutch is fixed but the grinding is literally keeping me off the road. I'll take a really good look at the ring gear tomorrow night. I've cleaned more contacts, rewired stuff, cleaned up grounds, proper resistance, you name it. My only conclusion is I bought a bad solenoid or the plunger mechanism is hosed. Again, thanks for your insight and keep the ideas coming so I don't end up with an ulcer over this thing.

I have to agree with Glider. It sounds like either a gear/starter drive issue. Keep in mind, the only job the solenoid has is to engage the starter when you push the button. If the starter is firing, that means that everything electrically up to the starter is doing what it is supposed to.

The only question I can think of (and this is out of shear ignorance!!) is on some cars, the starter has to be shimmed sometimes because of meshing issues. Do they use shims on Harleys? Could it be possible the starter is not square with it's mating surface (dirt on the mating surfaces?) if nothing else turns up?

like i said take off the outer primary then hit the starter you can see if the jackshaft is going in and i,m sure you looked to make sure its not the primary chain slipping over the teeth,jel

Ok, I need some quick advice, I've got the outer primary off, the starter out, the solenoid out, the drive gear on the starter side is off, the shifter arm is disconnected from the shifter collar. I'm trying to replace the starter drive as suggested, the Harley manual states that if I'm removing theb starter and the solenoid that the clutch does NOT have to come off, it states to simply remove the thrust washer and the starter shaft. Now I've removed just about everything I can but the base of the starter drive hits the ring gear and will not allow the starter shaft (and stater drive) to slide out, I've tried removing the nut on the end of the starter shaft but it won't budge (the book says it comes off clockwise). If anyone out there knows a way to get the starter shaft or drive off w/o removing the clutch, PLEASE help me. I've got this bike torn dowen and my boss is sick of it being in the shop.

you have to get the nut off at the end of the jackshaft it has a locking tab on it once thats off be careful to watch how it breaks down,jel

Well its done! I eventually broke down and took apart my clutch, which wasn't as bad as I thought, once I got the adjuster&pressure plates off it was just a matter of loosening up the clutch nut enough so that I could pull the clutch hub/shell assembly foward enough to get the starter shaft/drive gear assembly out past the ring gear, then I just put the starter shaft in a vise and took off the nut and slide the starter drive off. Put everything back together and she cranks just fine. Only problem is now she's not firing. But hey one problem solved (I think I flooded it anyway). Thanks to everybody for your advice and help. This is a great site.

Back