free website stats program fwd belt pulley socket, 02 wideglide? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

fwd belt pulley socket, 02 wideglide?

down to the local parts house and picked up a 1 7/8 socket today. Put it on the lathe at my shop and parted it towards the rear of the socket. Used a piece of 2 1/2 inch pipe stock and expanded one end on my muffler pipe machine to accept the hex portion of the socket, pressed it in and ran a bead around it. Then I took the back part of the socket, with the 3/4" drive and welded it to the other end of the pipe. Painted it black and now have another special tool. 44 bucks for the socket, the rest, I already had. Sure glad I didn't buy the 2 7/8 and get really stupid, must've been thinking about the seal OD. thanks for setting me straight TQuentin----jack

I always envy the guys who can machine parts or have access to that type of machinery. It sure takes the humps and the bumps out of the road. A hobby drill press and Milwaukee SawZall are my machining tools! :p

Jaxdwg, do you have a picture of the custom tool you fabricated...sounds like a good project for some "steady handed" machinest/mechanic/riders.

I didn't take a pic of it because there was nothing to it. I just chucked the 1 7/8" socket up in the lathe and parted it near the back end of the socket part then opened up a piece of pipe that was about 2+" till the socket would fit in the end, then pressed it tight and ran a bead around it. Then I just laid the 3/4" drive end of the socket on the other end of the pipe and welded it in place, piece of cake. I'm a good wrench and fabricator but posting pics and things on the internet isn't what I do well, call me dumb.

I always envy the guys who can machine parts or have access to that type of machinery. It sure takes the humps and the bumps out of the road. A hobby drill press and Milwaukee SawZall are my machining tools! :p

My dad was a master machinist and when we were racing, If he needed something he couldn't buy, he just made it on the milling machine or lathe. He made the first camper shell back in 57 and sold the design to Six-Pack campers. I've always liked having my own machines and tools so that when the urge strikes me, I just go down to the shop and make it, just like I made Jack's Flaps, I had a buffeting problem from the windshield so I figured out where the wind was actually coming from and put a set of "spoiler"/ flaps on a vest, that became Jack's Flaps, and now I don't ride without the vest anymore because it works so good and keeps the jiggly eyes and, mustache-up-the-nose, and wind noise down to a comfortable level. I'm just lousy at computers, oh well, everybody is dumb at something----jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Back