free website stats program fwd belt pulley socket, 02 wideglide? | Harley Davidson Forums

fwd belt pulley socket, 02 wideglide?

jaxdwg

Hi again guys; I looked at Georges garage and they were out of stock on the front belt pulley socket- 2 7/8" Someone mentioned herkos or herkes, something like that. Was wondering ig I could get somebody to tell me again, the name to get the tool, and also, the torque on that nut? thanks---jack

Hi again guys; I looked at Georges garage and they were out of stock on the front belt pulley socket- 2 7/8" Someone mentioned herkos or herkes, something like that. Was wondering ig I could get somebody to tell me again, the name to get the tool, and also, the torque on that nut? thanks---jack
Left hand thread you already know....KEEP that in thought when making the second tightening......(no not me i never went the wrong way and had to start over....):D

Out of my 2000 book
INITAL tighten with torque wrench is 50 ft. lbs. THEN

You scribe a line thru the center of bolt and out on the sprocket (i use soapstone)
using straight line,,, tighten MORE 30* deg. off line minimum and 45* deg off line is maximum..... no looser or it can work loose says my 2000 big HD book......

I don't know the final torque number would be but I would bet 70/75 ' lbs... I would use their suggested above way....

signed....BUBBIE

Jack,

I think you mean 1 7/8" socket for the drive pully meganut? If GG is out of stock, you can get the same tool from Jims or from HD. I think Herko gets tools from GG, so unless he just happens to have one laying around you may be better to try Jims. But here is Herko's contact:

Flying W Performance

TQ

You're right, my bad----thanks for the new contact------jack

Left hand thread you already know....KEEP that in thought when making the second tightening......(no not me i never went the wrong way and had to start over....):D

Out of my 2000 book

You scribe a line thru the center of bolt and out on the sprocket (i use soapstone)
using straight line,,, tighten MORE 30* deg. off line minimum and 45* deg off line is maximum..... no looser or it can work loose says my 2000 big HD book......

I don't know the final torque number would be but I would bet 70/75 ' lbs... I would use their suggested above way....

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks BUBBIE-----jack

Jack,

I think you mean 1 7/8" socket for the drive pully meganut? If GG is out of stock, you can get the same tool from Jims or from HD. I think Herko gets tools from GG, so unless he just happens to have one laying around you may be better to try Jims. But here is Herko's contact:

Flying W Performance

TQ

Went down to the local parts house and picked up a 1 7/8 socket today. Put it on the lathe at my shop and parted it towards the rear of the socket. Used a piece of 2 1/2 inch pipe stock and expanded one end on my muffler pipe machine to accept the hex portion of the socket, pressed it in and ran a bead around it. Then I took the back part of the socket, with the 3/4" drive and welded it to the other end of the pipe. Painted it black and now have another special tool. 44 bucks for the socket, the rest, I already had. Sure glad I didn't buy the 2 7/8 and get really stupid, must've been thinking about the seal OD. thanks for setting me straight TQuentin----jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Went down to the local parts house and picked up a 1 7/8 socket today. Put it on the lathe at my shop and parted it towards the rear of the socket. Used a piece of 2 1/2 inch pipe stock and expanded one end on my muffler pipe machine to accept the hex portion of the socket, pressed it in and ran a bead around it. Then I took the back part of the socket, with the 3/4" drive and welded it to the other end of the pipe. Painted it black and now have another special tool. 44 bucks for the socket, the rest, I already had. Sure glad I didn't buy the 2 7/8 and get really stupid, must've been thinking about the seal OD. thanks for setting me straight TQuentin----jack

No problem, and great job making one up. If you get the hankerin' to make another, I am gonna need one to knock my Dyna's 5-spd apart and install a 6-spd gear set!! Maybe I could borrow yours. :s

TQ

Out of my 2000 book

signed....BUBBIE
Bubbie you are 1000 percent on this, degrees are here to stay, too many confuse this with an actual torque figure, This is one reason alot of guys I rode with in Mn. kept having head gasket problems, they wouldnt listen to me and tried to final torque them with a torque value like Shovelheads, they soon learned when I showed them how to do it in the proper sequence and mark the bolt and give it the proper degrees and never mind the click of the torque wrench, Jack

Bubbie you are 1000 percent on this, degrees are here to stay, too many confuse this with an actual torque figure, This is one reason alot of guys I rode with in Mn. kept having head gasket problems, they wouldnt listen to me and tried to final torque them with a torque value like Shovelheads, they soon learned when I showed them how to do it in the proper sequence and mark the bolt and give it the proper degrees and never mind the click of the torque wrench, Jack

I did the 50 ft lbs plus about 35* to get the lock plate holes to line up and everything seemed to be what I'd expect. With the lock plate, I doubt that it will go anywhere. Oh, and the socket worked just fine. Tquentin; if you promise to send it back I'll let you use it when you're ready. Btw, the 33 tooth sprocket works way good but I had to modify the slots in the swingarm, lengthen them 3/8" and the tightening squeeze blocks had to be shortened on the outer end a bit but the 135 tooth belt now fits fine and I can wind second and third alot better and 80 on the freeway is really nice now. I think two more teeth instead of just one would have been too tall a gear to pull comfortably in 5th at 75-80 the 33 seams to be just about right---jack

No problem, and great job making one up. If you get the hankerin' to make another, I am gonna need one to knock my Dyna's 5-spd apart and install a 6-spd gear set!! Maybe I could borrow yours. :s

TQ

My buddy put the 6 speed in his 03 ultra (stock) and couldn't pull it. He ended up putting in the stroker and the bigger pitons and cams (bringing it up to 103") in order to use 6th gear without it drooping on hills. The 33 tooth seams to put me right in that sweet range at 75-80 without doing the 6-speed upgrade. Just a thought because I'm a cheapskate and got these results for about $375.00------jack

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy put the 6 speed in his 03 ultra (stock) and couldn't pull it. He ended up putting in the stroker and the bigger pitons and cams (bringing it up to 103") in order to use 6th gear without it drooping on hills. The 33 tooth seams to put me right in that sweet range at 75-80 without doing the 6-speed upgrade. Just a thought because I'm a cheapskate and got these results for about $375.00------jack

I put the SE 6-spd box on my UC. It has the .89:1 ratio on 6th. With that, I tend to downshift anytime I am hitting a steep incline so as not to lug the engine. I use 6th for steady-state cruisin'.

I appreciate the offer on loaning me your tool to handle the meganut. I will drop you a line when it's time, and will pay shipping both ways. Thanx for that!

TQ

Last edited:
I've got several hundred miles on it now and the longer wheelbase after the swingarm slot increase has caused the bike to handle and track a whole bunch nicer, she's solid as a rock now. I was happy before but the difference is so noticeable that I thought I'd comment on it. Also I did about 100miles yesterday with mama aboard and I got 43.3 mpg riding normally (for me). It pulls good in 5th from about 42mph up. The swap turned out better than I'd hoped, very pleased-----jack

Jaxdwg, do you have a picture of the custom tool you fabricated...sounds like a good project for some "steady handed" machinest/mechanic/riders.

Back