free website stats program Fuel odor after shut down | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel odor after shut down

I remember my first ride with my 2010 FLHX. Came home, closed garage door and went inside.. After 20 minutes or so, I started to sense a gas smell in the house.
Not having a clue ... Called 911 thinking there was a gas leak... Well, my Kids appreciated the 3 massive fire trucks. I on the other hand felt like a monkey. Now, I just leave garage door open and let it cool down for 30 min.
I am not nearly as versed in mechanics as most guys here. But I don't think it's a fuel leak. I believe it's just small amounts of unburnt fuel "oozing" out of pipe(s) and engine block area. Needless to say, when engine is cold (even if moved around a lot) it never happens.
WAP.gif

I believe it's just small amounts of unburnt fuel "oozing" out of pipe(s) and engine block area.

I'm glad you added this. To my thinking there's only three ways for unburned fuel to exit the engine. The gas cap, the intakes, and the ehaust pipes.

Notice I did not say "leaks." I also believe that if something was leaking, even a joint pertaining to an exhaust pipe, you'd be smelling gas all of the time--like at a stoplight--or there would be a dramatic decrease in performance.

Some things are laughable. I used to smell something odd in my garage. Turned out it was smoldering Windex if I wiped down my pipes too soon. This mechanical stuff can sometimes drive you crazy, or in my case crazier.

I got a 2013 Ultra Classic, 3000 miles on it, with the same problem. Fuel vapors filling the garage at unsafe levels after I ride. I'm afraid my garage is going to blow up. Can't leave the door open for security reasons. Harley says I'm the only one with this complaint. They took off my Vance and Hines pipes (slip-on mufflers), reinstalled the original pipes and sent the bike back home with me. The vapor is not as bad now, but hey, it's a cool day. So, I just got off the phone with the service manager, and he's going to see if a Harley rep can come to my house, and go from there. I'll try to keep in touch with you if they come up with anything.

I got a 2013 Ultra Classic, 3000 miles on it, with the same problem. Fuel vapors filling the garage at unsafe levels after I ride. I'm afraid my garage is going to blow up. Can't leave the door open for security reasons. Harley says I'm the only one with this complaint. They took off my Vance and Hines pipes (slip-on mufflers), reinstalled the original pipes and sent the bike back home with me. The vapor is not as bad now, but hey, it's a cool day. So, I just got off the phone with the service manager, and he's going to see if a Harley rep can come to my house, and go from there. I'll try to keep in touch with you if they come up with anything.

What mods have been done to the bike? Did you notice the fumes before you changed out the exhaust? have you added a fueler?

This happens on mine when I get home and the tank is 1/2 full or less.
The heat from engine rises and gets tank hot and the fuel expands and vents, does not do this with a full tank because not enough heat to heat up a full tank of fuel.

This happens on mine when I get home and the tank is 1/2 full or less.
The heat from engine rises and gets tank hot and the fuel expands and vents, does not do this with a full tank because not enough heat to heat up a full tank of fuel.
I also think that this is the case. Never any fuel odor in the garage, even with two bikes in it, but after a long ride, and a mostly empty fuel tank, the odor comes out. I refer to it as "Harley Air Freshner".:D

Back