free website stats program Fuel odor after shut down | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel odor after shut down

I have a 2010 ultra with stage 2 kit and 255 cams. I purchased the bike used with 10k miles and the stage ii installed. After riding the bike and parking in the garage the bike fills the garage and house with gas fumes. Ive had it to two different dealers and NPF. The factory authorized (some gasket around the filler tube replace) didnt help. The service guys talked me into purchasing a street tuner and paying for a dyno. The bike runs strong now and doesnt ping but I'm getting 25mpg or 130 miles on a tank of gas and the fuel smell is still there. I rode today and before shutting down the bike I pulled the 15 amp fuse to the fuel pump to see if it might be a leaky injector. Still filled the garage with fumes. While sniffing around I noticed a bubbling sound cominf from the gas tank. Could the heat from the engine be boiling off gasoline and the vapors escaping into the garage? Could this also be vaporizing my gasoline resulting in poor gas mileage? Am I stuck with this problem? The HD service says I'm the only one with the problem. Another dealer says they have has several complaints but the factory doesnt have a fix. What do you guys think?

Yes, The bike has the California Emision package and I run a TFI but if it was a rich condition you would think that the strong odor of gas would happen everytime I shut the bike down. This seems to be a sporatic problem. Today after a long ride (sorry east coast riders) no odor but after last Sunday's ride the strong gas smell was really strong. At first I thought I had fuel leaking somewhere but that's not the case..

I would check the fuel cap/gasket mating surface and make sure no stray overspray paint is in the sealing contact surface. Have the cap verified if it has venting or not (and that your CA emissions) recovery system has no kinks in the hoses and check with the dealer to log your problem in case further down the road you need waranty repairs...JMHO:s

I can not say for absolute certainty that I have the answer for this common problem, but I can mention two things which do contribute to the problem. First of all, make sure that when you ride your bike into the garage after a ride, let it idle down for about 15 seconds before you turn off the ignition.
Second, and most important, do not blip the throttle or clear out your pipes when you pull into the garage after a ride. By doing so you are dumping cold fuel into the hot system which will result in gas fumes seeping out into the air in the garage.
That is what I have learned from my 2009.
Disclaimer: Since I don't use Harley gasoline or Harley air in my bike. maybe that is the problem. And yes, everybody I know who has a late model Harley has this gas smell problem. The factory is quick to point out that it is not a safety related issue and as such you can go pound sand. The three dealers I have talked to about this don't have an answer either, although they hear complaints about it all the time.
Service writers favorite mantra: "Gee, you are the first person to complain about that. I have never heard that before".

I have the same issue with my bone-stock 2010 Ultra (non-CA model). It smells like the bike is leaking fuel in the garage; however, my mileage appears OK so I don't think it's a leak. I'm going to list it as a concern when I take it in for its 1000 service this friday.

I hate to sound obvious, but usually, when there is a strong smell of fuel, you will find fuel somewhere. Here is one that is kind of hard to find the source for: a leaky tank console seal. The fuel will leak and run out, on touring models, under the dash, off the back, to the underside, and make it seem that the fuel line exit connection is leaking (underside of tank is wet). Depending on where the seal is leaking, it might only happen when you fill the tank to the very top.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I've noticed a gas smell on occasion as well after shutting down. However it doesn't seem to be as bad as yours. The smell is gone within 15 minutes and only happens once in a while. I'm pretty sure it did it prior to adding the PCV. I'll keep an eye on it and see if there is a pattern as to when it occurs. I've got to fill up today so we'll see if it causes it to stink.

Have you tried putting a cover over your Harley to contain the fumes? Those fumes can be deadly. I live in a small security apartment building with a well ventilated garage so I don't notice any fumes, but I notice that my 2010 Fat Bob will get an oily film when I cover it while warm. Use a fan to blow those fumes outside...

I use a white cover so people passing by the security gate don't see my black bike standing out against the white walls of the garage. The cover is heat resistant around the exhaust, so I can cover it while warm. It is also water resistant in case that matters.

Anyway, this oily coat is soo thick that I need to clean the rear mirrors every time I uncover the Fat Bob if I covered it warm. Sometimes I can't see if that car behind me is a truck or a sports car until it gets right behind me through the dirty rear view mirrors. On my 2003 Sportster, the cover used to simply keep the bike clean & dust free. I never noticed oily mirrors with the Sportster, but that cover was not water resistant. There is no problem if I cover the Fat Bob when it is cold.

I have the same problem, on the console there is an overflow tube running down to the front of the rear tire, I've overfilled the tank occationaly and this is where is flows, if you park it and the heat from the engine heats the tank up some the tank will "burp" the pressure off and out the overflow it comes. I don't believe it comes from the exhaust.

Last edited:
Back