free website stats program Fuel mileage and oil temp questions (HELP) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel mileage and oil temp questions (HELP)

IMO, I look for codes occasionally, never had a single one. I used to check fuel MPG every stop, 2007 FLSTC 48,000 miles, but eventually realized that I was somewhere between 36 and 44 depending on the condition of my right wrist. Soooooooooo a couple of years ago came to realize I DID NOT buy the bike for the fuel mileage, and therefore I NO LONGER check it nor do I really care. IT IS about the ride. Don't get caught up in the details (unless of course you find a code).

BTW I have never had my ride back at the local dealer since I drove it off the lot. A full maintenance / repair manual and some good friends and a little patience is all you need, and the great help on this, the best Harley forum.

Ride safe and often.

IMO, I look for codes occasionally, never had a single one. I used to check fuel MPG every stop, 2007 FLSTC 48,000 miles, but eventually realized that I was somewhere between 36 and 44 depending on the condition of my right wrist. Soooooooooo a couple of years ago came to realize I DID NOT buy the bike for the fuel mileage, and therefore I NO LONGER check it nor do I really care. IT IS about the ride. Don't get caught up in the details (unless of course you find a code).

BTW I have never had my ride back at the local dealer since I drove it off the lot. A full maintenance / repair manual and some good friends and a little patience is all you need, and the great help on this, the best Harley forum.

Ride safe and often.

Thanks for the reply.

Nor did I buy mine for the fuel mileage specifically. It is a form of relatively inexpensive transportation and therapy. But when it continues to get poor fuel mileage and does not run properly as designed, then it costs more to ride it. My past bikes never saw the inside of a dealer either, but they had carbs and were simple to work on. I do have access to a repair manual and can have friends help, but do not have access to the very expensive diagnostic computer to fix problems within the ECU. These new EFI computer controled things drive me nuts.

tmilam,

I can only tell you of my experience, as brief as it is. My milage was horrible in the beginning, mostly because I love the sound of my bike and, rowing through the gears quickly is a lot of fun! After several months I tried to restrain my self a little and my milage improved... a lot!

I'm certain that the recommendations from others, regarding your O2 sensors is valid and I would look into that soon. A little less enthusiasm with the "Go Grip" might help too.

Cheers!
Ferrous

05 glide standard carburetor. Slow jet bumped one size. Andrewss n21 grind. Vance and hines true duals with baffels. KN airfilter with aftermarket backing plate. Amsoil in all three holes. I get 46 mpg and it rarely gets over 200 on a 90 deg day as long as i am moving. Runs like a scalded rat. I think you have been fuel infected. I mean injected. Thank your EPA.

05 glide standard carburetor. Slow jet bumped one size. Andrewss n21 grind. Vance and hines true duals with baffels. KN airfilter with aftermarket backing plate. Amsoil in all three holes. I get 46 mpg and it rarely gets over 200 on a 90 deg day as long as i am moving. Runs like a scalded rat. I think you have been fuel infected. I mean injected. Thank your EPA.

Yes. It is an 08 Fuel injected. Finally pulled the codes. Both O2 sensors are reading HIGH.

Rode 200 miles Saturday. Part was against a 20mph cross wind. Bike would only do 55mph in 6th. Could downshift to 5th and only run 70mph at full throttle. Averaged 28mpg for the trip. Guess it goes to the dealer today.

It is pretty easy to install two new 02 sensors.

For the cost of what HD will charge you to Diagnose THEN put two new ones in.

02's may not be the problem but if you wanted to install them?

I allow the bike to warm JUST a little to Loosen the 02 when Hot but not to burn your hand. Put the One in then go start and heat the other enough to BREAK Loose easily.... COLD, they are a BUGGER..

just my way:s

signed....BUBBIE

If the O2 sensors fix it, great, but one other thing to check is brake drag. If the caliper pistons were pushed back in without cleaning them they can bind and not retract that fraction of an inch when you release the lever/pedal. That makes the brakes drag and definitely influences mileage. Get each wheel off the ground and git it a good spin. If it stops quickly and the brakes are making noise, the brakes are dragging. If you are new to this, the brakes drag lightly all the time and make a light rubbing sound but each wheel should be easy to rotate and coast for a little bit. The rear wheel is always harder to spin than the front as you are turning part of the transmission at the same time. Good luck and I hope your mileage improves. I have an 08 Road King and I have to run it pretty hard to get the mileage below 40.

Back