free website stats program Fuel management | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel management

My understanding of the stage 1 download is that it takes the fuel-air ratio back to the factory standard with the freer flowing pipes and air cleaner. i.e. you're still running pretty lean.

With the TFI you will richen up the fuel-air mix, cooling down the combustion a bit.

I get 40mpg around town riding single. Cruising, two-up, I get at least 44mpg.

Here's the thing about fuel mileage with stage 1. It's so much fun to roll on the throttle that you tend to do it more often. That, unsurprisingly, has a huge affect on fuel mileage.

Here's the thing about fuel mileage with stage 1. It's so much fun to roll on the throttle that you tend to do it more often. That, unsurprisingly, has a huge affect on fuel mileage.

I will second that!!!!!:D:D:D

I made the changes to mine based on suggestions from this board:
SE air cleaner, TFI and V&H Ovals.
Exactly what I wanted. Nothing crazy, but my ultra definiitly has more "get up and go". I have read this descibed as a "seat of your pants" performance upgrade, and I agree. Simple to install, easy to tune and as stated the folks at Dobeck (TFI) are great to deal with.

To me, this is how a Harley should run, stock off the showroom floor.
Government always ruins a good thing by taxing (regulating).....

From this I guess there is no problem installing this even after the stage one down load? What about if I decide to change bikes or remove this from the existing bike, can it be just unplugged and the bike will be back to where it was prior to instalation. Thanks

If you disconnect the TFI you'll be right back to the point you were at when you installed it.

Now, the unit may or may not fit other bikes. For instance the TFI model number for a Softail is different than the one for a Touring bike. That makes sense for different years (88ci engine vs 96ci engine). Dobeck does have a chart on their web site giving the TFI model number for each HD model. Go here to check it out:
EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection

I put the V&H straightshots, Heavy breather intake and the FuelPak on my 08 XL1200C. It ran a little crappy at first with the out of the box settings that V&H gives you. SO, I called FuelPak and told them about my Stage 1 build and they gave me specific settings to input on the FuelPak. It now runs perfectly and I rarely get any deceleration pop anymore. Man this bike is quick now and it sounds like a Harley should!

I run the Cobra unit on my 08, had one on my 06 too for just adding fuel and givin it a little extra umph they've worked good for me. As for easy to use just three adjustments even a monkey could use it! Well back to my bannana!!:laugh

I run the Cobra unit on my 08, had one on my 06 too for just adding fuel and givin it a little extra umph they've worked good for me. As for easy to use just three adjustments even a monkey could use it! Well back to my bannana!!:laugh

Is it easy enough for a caveman to use?

Not that your question hasn't been thoroughly answered but here's one more thumbs up for the TFI. Low cost, versitile. and very easy to use. Made my RK run better than ever. And some have compared me to a caveman. LOL

Back