free website stats program Fuel Light Too Soon? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Light Too Soon?

Would you know what the owners manual quotes for your tank capacity and can you pump 4.7 gallons into a tank that quit at .3 gallons left.
I am wondering if tank capacity includes volume of fuel pump, float, filter, and any other hardware.

The Service Manual says the Tank Capacity is 5.0 Gallons(Total) .9 (Reserve)

When I have ran out I put the full 5.0 in, maybe even 5.1. That is with pushing the bike:newsmile08: into the gas station. After getting it started a couple times from being stopped and stalling out.

I have filled up right when the fuel light comes on. This is when I pumped 4.7 gallons. That is how I came up with the .3 left after the light comes on. My light comes on late.

Mine use to go on with 2.5g left in tank, now with new sending unit it goes on with about 1.5g in tank.
Replaced unit under warranty due to defective sending unit, low fuel light on and off whole time riding even full tank.

My 09 Sporty's fuel light seems to be coming on a bit early, but I'm not sure.

It comes on around 120 miles or so into my 4.5 gallon tank. When I fill up it usually takes about 2-2.5 gallons.

Does this sound right? Is it something I should get the dealer to look at? The bike is still under warranty.

As others have stated, the light should come on when you have approximately 1 gal or so left. Most gas warning systems use a sending unit, so the following thread should still apply if you want to check calibration, and adjust float height or time when microswitch/sensor activates:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/electrical_and_lighting_systems/965-fuel_gauge_and_sender_test.html

I get around 40mpg with my 08 XL1200C stage 1 modified Harley and I ride fairly hard. My fuel light usually comes on around 120 Miles. I use the odometer for my fuel gage and always have on all my bikes. Never had a fuel gauge.

So, I burn around 3 gals in 120 miles out of a 4.5 gal tank. That would leave around 1.5 gal in the tank. So, the fuel light coming on around 120 seems pretty normal for an idiot light that is for reference not for accurate mesurment.

I usually start getting serius about looking for a gas station around 130 miles.

Back