free website stats program Fuel Light Too Soon? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Light Too Soon?

My 09 Sporty's fuel light seems to be coming on a bit early, but I'm not sure.

It comes on around 120 miles or so into my 4.5 gallon tank. When I fill up it usually takes about 2-2.5 gallons.

Does this sound right? Is it something I should get the dealer to look at? The bike is still under warranty.

It seems a bit quick , my Bike (dyna SB)has a 4.8 Gal tank and when I fill her up when the needle reaches the fuel low mark it takes about 2.7 to 3 Gal to the brim.

I already think that was quick

Sounds like something's not registering properly w/your fuel sending unit b/c you should get down to <1-gal for the light to come on. I'd have your HD service dept. take a look & assess for the warranty coverage.

I wish you guys didn't say that :) Now I'm going to have to check that out as well..

On the bright side, this gives me another reason to ride my tank empty.

My RoadKing will hold 5 Gallons. I have ran out of gas before(more then once). When the bike quits you can normally start it and get another mile or so out of it.

When the fuel light comes on, I have .3 Gallons left. That means I better find a gas station quick. I reset my odometer every fillup. I start looking for gas at 150 miles.

My 09 Sporty's fuel light seems to be coming on a bit early, but I'm not sure.

It comes on around 120 miles or so into my 4.5 gallon tank. When I fill up it usually takes about 2-2.5 gallons.

Does this sound right? Is it something I should get the dealer to look at? The bike is still under warranty.

My 09 sporty does the same thing, right around 125 the light comes on. I use my mileage to be accurate. I like the early warning. I think it's more a sportster thing.

My RoadKing will hold 5 Gallons. I have ran out of gas before(more then once). When the bike quits you can normally start it and get another mile or so out of it.

When the fuel light comes on, I have .3 Gallons left. That means I better find a gas station quick. I reset my odometer every fillup. I start looking for gas at 150 miles.

Would you know what the owners manual quotes for your tank capacity and can you pump 4.7 gallons into a tank that quit at .3 gallons left.
I am wondering if tank capacity includes volume of fuel pump, float, filter, and any other hardware.

Back