free website stats program front brake "surging" | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

front brake "surging"

You should have floating rotors on the bike already @ least my 08 (non-ABS) came with floating rotors & calipers . I had the same problem as you, my bike was surging when the front brakes were applied. I just changed the brake pads and the surging stopped, I didn't even scuff the rotor any. It is real easy to change the brake pads so try that first then if the surging continues then change the rotors you can still use the same brake pads . I am not sure if the HD brake pads are semi-metallic or full metallic (never asked) but it looked like my brake pads were glazed some.

It is recommended that you change the mounting bolts when you change or remove/remount the brake rotor(s). When properly torqued the bolts "stretch" to improve their hold. They only stretch once.

My 09 serg had warped rotors at 5000mi. dealer replaced rotors and pads under warrantee. Had to fight for the pads though,they wanted me to pay for them.

Are you sure it had floating rotors stock I have never seen them on a stock bike except a CVO I did see with them.

Your right smitty! I just have floating calipers . But the fact remains that just replacing the brake pads took care of my surging problems. With the floating calipers what would be the advantage of having floating rotors??? I can see were floating rotors would help with the stationery calipers and it may help bikes with ABS.

Warped rotor for sure.. some of the 09's had problems with them
HD replaced mine under warranty (09 Road Glide), had to argue with them over the pads also, but they gave in. They aren't floating rotors but they do have ONE buton in them like the floaters. Not sure why, I think there was a resonence issue or something like that.

'08 SG with 51,700 miles. Put new 18' Renegade Aspen Elite wheel upfront at 23,000 miles with non floating rotors.( because of the cool look) Today had Arlen Ness (Black Deep Cut style) floaters installed with new Lyndall Z+ pads (which I've always used) and can't believe I dealt with the surging for the past 28,700 miles. Duh. These full floaters rock although I only road 150 miles today and still marrying the pads to the rotors. As of right now, not 1 surge or shimmer. Smooth as can hope for. Highly recommend full floaters.

I got a set of floaters sitting here to just waiting for the front tire change to put um on to get rid of the warped rotor

Back