free website stats program front brake "surging" | Harley Davidson Forums

front brake "surging"

I have a 09 SG I purchased new and now have approx 23k miles on it. I have noticed recently that when I come to a slow or "soft" stop the front brakes feel like they are surging, kind of like I am braking hard then soft, hard, etc
The pads look good but are getting worn. It does not do this surging if I brake hard and only the front brake surges, not the back brakes.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

I have a 09 SG I purchased new and now have approx 23k miles on it. I have noticed recently that when I come to a slow or "soft" stop the front brakes feel like they are surging, kind of like I am braking hard then soft, hard, etc
The pads look good but are getting worn. It does not do this surging if I brake hard and only the front brake surges, not the back brakes.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Check the rotors for run out

I do alot of brake work and reading tech info on brakes. Once rotors start to pulsate they have memorey. This will remain until they are machined( BAD) idea on a bike or (replaced). Cast iron rotors are the biggest offender. Always rescuff or replace the pads when changing rotors. The pads usually have been worn at an angle from the run out

I agree - Warped rotor. If you have patience, they can sometimes be straightened. Get the wheel off the ground and set up a dial indicator to identify the high spot when you rotate the wheel. GENTLY tap on the high spot with a leather mallet and re-check. It may take several attempts (and about 6 beers), but I have has success doing this.

Warped rotor best idea is just to replace it or it would fail inspection here for that

Brian

Anytime I replace rotors, I go with floating rotors which would eliminate the warping problem in the future.

Back