free website stats program Front brake lever, excessive play | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake lever, excessive play

My bikes are all a wee bit earlier than yours and there was a revision of handlebar controls in 96 but the parts description for the master cylinder rebuild kits span a lot of years for yours it seems to go from 96 to 2005 so different kit from mine but I do not think much had changed in the master cylinder so I do not think there is a circlip holding the piston in place it is just done by the shape of the various components all fit well together and stay in place
A service manual is always the first special tool I buy for any bike I have ever had no not even consider a Haynes manual as they are very poor, written for the first model of the bike and lots of later models may be different consult your dealer
Harley service manuals are written to cover 2 year models of the bike and really need the parts list to accompany it at about £60 each can be a wee bit of a shock when you are paying for them
Clymer manuals about half the price of the HD manual and are written to cover a number of years of similar models some people do not like them I always pick up the Clymer manual first and have found it to be as detailed as the HD manual but with additional content and good tables at the end of each chapter with torque settings etc
By the time I bought my dyna I did not get the hd manual and just went for the Clymer as I was only using the Clymer manuals for sportster and softail although I have cross referenced from HD to Clymer on big jobs and fond the detail to be very similar possibly a wee bit more in the Clymer
However I do have the HD parts list for each bike as it has very good diagrams with the stuff all separated out

Brian

My bikes are all a wee bit earlier than yours and there was a revision of handlebar controls in 96 but the parts description for the master cylinder rebuild kits span a lot of years for yours it seems to go from 96 to 2005 so different kit from mine but I do not think much had changed in the master cylinder so I do not think there is a circlip holding the piston in place it is just done by the shape of the various components all fit well together and stay in place
A service manual is always the first special tool I buy for any bike I have ever had no not even consider a Haynes manual as they are very poor, written for the first model of the bike and lots of later models may be different consult your dealer
Harley service manuals are written to cover 2 year models of the bike and really need the parts list to accompany it at about £60 each can be a wee bit of a shock when you are paying for them
Clymer manuals about half the price of the HD manual and are written to cover a number of years of similar models some people do not like them I always pick up the Clymer manual first and have found it to be as detailed as the HD manual but with additional content and good tables at the end of each chapter with torque settings etc
By the time I bought my dyna I did not get the hd manual and just went for the Clymer as I was only using the Clymer manuals for sportster and softail although I have cross referenced from HD to Clymer on big jobs and fond the detail to be very similar possibly a wee bit more in the Clymer
However I do have the HD parts list for each bike as it has very good diagrams with the stuff all separated out

Brian

Thanks Brian, its on my birthday list!...the part came today, makes more sense now...so hopefully will be fitted in the morning...then get a ride out, weather looking good down here at the moment!

We have had rain followed by rain then rain my grass loves it grew about 3" in 5 days tomorrow we are getting rain had a dry pleasant evening so got grass cut and some wood unloaded off a trailer and if not too wet in pm will start replacing some rotten latz on back shed
however if it turns out nice softail needs a wee outing

Brian

We have had rain followed by rain then rain my grass loves it grew about 3" in 5 days tomorrow we are getting rain had a dry pleasant evening so got grass cut and some wood unloaded off a trailer and if not too wet in pm will start replacing some rotten latz on back shed
however if it turns out nice softail needs a wee outing

Brian

Sun shining, looks like rain, but on with the job!...the end grey cap just pulled off...but that may be due to the end rubber ring being worn?...I am presuming the ring is the last part to go on and then it holds everything in place and also allows the piston to push in.
i did read the harley kits come with a lubricant that many didn't approve of, the kit I got by Drag Specialities has no lubricant, therefore will use DOT 5 is used as the lubricant for the fit......coffee, then back to it!

Sun shining, looks like rain, but on with the job!...the end grey cap just pulled off...but that may be due to the end rubber ring being worn?...I am presuming the ring is the last part to go on and then it holds everything in place and also allows the piston to push in.
just looked back on this thread to the diagram...must get a manual!.....so all clear now!
i did read the harley kits come with a lubricant that many didn't approve of, the kit I got by Drag Specialities has no lubricant, therefore will use DOT 5 is used as the lubricant for the fit......coffee, then back to it!
and may even get a ride out today..!

Job done..thanks all for your notes and advice....the tricky part is pushing the piston in whilst gently pushing in the final stop ring...used a flat screwdriver and with a little lube and perseverance....it located.....don't have a vice..so these kind of jobs are more of a challenge than they should be...next on the list for the garage....bled the brake and all seems well...lever snaps back into place...brake light works as it should....Hope all this of some use to someone else!

Keep an eye on Lidl and Aldi special offers and eventually a bench vice of good quality will appear

Brian

Thanks again for all your suggestions and tips, it my first month or so of Harley ownership, so all appreciated.
Couldn't wait for the weekend, took it apart tonight, and basically with my fingers I can pull out the push rod in the master cylinder by about a quarter of an inch....this , if it came back to this position, would put the lever against the stop and not have the brake light on. (if the switch worked, thats my next project!)
but the push rod just pushes back in, so I am presuming that the spring, which should push it back out is no longer fully functional...does this make sense so far?...
my local Harley shop has a cylinder repair kit....and also many on e bay etc, so considering if this is the route I need to take.

I had the same problem, drove me nuts because I bought 2 master cylinder rebuild kits and rebuilt the master cylinder twice to no avail. Master cylinder spring would not push lever against brake light switch. Made a spacer at work to increase the spring pressure slightly and no problem since.

Keep an eye on Lidl and Aldi special offers and eventually a bench vice of good quality will appear

Brian

Will do.......just looking for a shed for all the bicycles to live in....have an assortment of 5, plus my boys stunt scooters....non motorised!...so its quite full!

I had the same problem, drove me nuts because I bought 2 master cylinder rebuild kits and rebuilt the master cylinder twice to no avail. Master cylinder spring would not push lever against brake light switch. Made a spacer at work to increase the spring pressure slightly and no problem since.

Thanks for the tip, all seems well so far!....but will look out for it.

Back