free website stats program Front brake lever, excessive play | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake lever, excessive play

Rebuild or replace the master cylinder, any thing else is like a band aid on a broken leg IMO, if this is DOT 5 fluid, flush it once a year, this silicone based fluid likes to gel and crystallize, specilay in a damp climate TOO many H D techs will stretch the springs and ship you out the door, this is poor at best IMO DO NOT take chances with brakes

It is not a big job to do a master cylinder rebuild just ensure you take good care on draining the system as if there is any glycol based fluid still in there and it gets on the paint it will bubble and strip the paint off
It can take a wee nudge to get the old parts out of the master cylinder but as they are heading for the bin anyway
With the master cylinder on the bench I use a suitable sized allen key in where the banjo bolt fits push on to the piston inside and tap the end with a mallet and it all pops out take note of the order and orientation of the old parts as they come out clean everything and fit the new parts

Brian

......the rebuild kit should be with me tomorrow, so will take onboard your suggestions....I was curious to how the part stays in place, , with a circlip or whatever, but did see on u tube a guy using a c clamp and a spark plug socket to push into place a metal ring or 'clip' for want of a better description.....is this correct?

Mine doesn't have any clip. I just pit the new spring in, then the piston , the seal , the pushrod and brake lever. Bleed it and go. Yours may be a little different but I'm sure you'll figure it out when you take it apart.

HD99FXST022.gif
some cylinders use a cir clip, yours presses in

Thanks Jack...I need to invest in a Manual of some description, only had her a couple of months!......Saturdays project all set....
....is there a recommended lubricant for the piston when re assembling?

brake fluid.

you wont regret spending on the manual, the manuals are very good. I have the parts book too, nice to look at diagrams and order parts.

Back