free website stats program Front brake issues...Help!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake issues...Help!!

I don't think the previous owner installed the proper spacers for the brake.

Not to give you more to think about but if that is true (and you mean AXLE spaces), the entire center-line of the rear tire may also be offset which would throw off the steering and tracking of the tires. It is a must that the center line of the rear tire be superimposed over the front center-line.

That has certainly crossed my mind and is something I am concerned about. However, the bike has been riding fine and feels fine. It is possible that I'm just overthinking this and the spacers are actually ok. I think after 10 months of playing around with it and not quite getting it figured out it's time to let a pro at least look at it and make an assesment. Until now I have been too stubborn to let anybody else work on it. It is possible that he will tell me that the spacers are normal even though they dont look quite right to me. I'll let you know what he says.

If the spacers were incorrect you would not have the calipers and brake pads correctly centered. IF that's the case, it will cause too much brake resistance on the rotor and the heat will eventually warp the rotor. Floating rotors will work for a while but they too will eventually warp if the centering/resistance is incorrect. A warped rotor will usually cause uneven wear on one side of a set of brake pads - usually completely wearing down one pad while the other pad shows normal wear. It's an indication of what side of the rotor has the run-out. If this is the problem you may have seen an abnormal amount of brake dust on the affected wheel. I hope you have figured this out by seeking the opinion of an experienced mechanic. If the rotor has warped, a good mechanic ought to be able to re-true the rotor [on the wheel in a jib] and save you a bit of money as opposed to replacing it. I've seen rotors re-trued by my mechanic. It's pretty impressive to see this level of experience but it is an option with the right mechanic who can actually lace and true wheels.

Old-school Harley mechanics are getting scarce.

Back