free website stats program Front brake issues...Help!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake issues...Help!!

That is a Great deal. I would gladly pay that for both kits. Let us know how the repair goes. I have a few questions, but won't hit you with them until your finished.

Did you happen to look in the parts catalog to see what comes in the caliper kit? (may just be the 4 quad seals & special lube).

Keep us updated.:)

I didn't look in the catalog but did ask the parts guy if the pistons were included with that price. He stated that they were. I guess I'll just have to see when I get the kit.

He stated that they were.

I may be wrong but I think that is impossible. According to Bike Bandit, the seal kit is ~$13.50 and you need quantity 4.

The quad seal w/ piston is $71.00 and you would need (4)

But who knows? Hey, if you can get 4 quad seals, 4 outer dust seals and 4 pistons for $60, I will send you some money to buy me mine!!:)

Thinking more about it, it almost sounds like he ordered you (1) piston seal kit for $71.00. The master cylinder kit was like $30. With tax that gets you near the $111.

Or maybe I am wrong and 1 part number gets you quantity 4 and not quantity 1. Now I am really confused. It is not real clear even when you look at the parts catalog exactly how many your getting for the 1 price. I never actually ordered them.

Maybe someone will chime in and set me straight on this because it doesn't make any sense to me.

Would you happen to have the part numbers of what he ordered for you?

The two items I ordered were

44313-01 HD D10 Piston Kit $71.75
45006-96C HD OLD Repair Kit, Piston 9 $29.00

With tax it came out to $111.08. It sounds like the piston kit includes all four pistons (at least that is what I was led to believe). I will let you know when I get the parts next week.

OK, Here is where the problem is for me. (I hope I am wrong but) I think your going to receive just 1 piston, 1 quad seal and 1 dust seal.
That is how I come up with those crazy prices for my caliper kit. I am multiplying that price of $71 by (4).

I hope I am wrong because if I am, then my caliper kit comes down to $71 just like yours. I have the HD parts manual for my bike and it's just not clear what you get when you order that 1 part number. The exploded view shows 1 of each part as a single part number.
I never wanted to be wrong so much in my life!

Let us know what part number you actually get and what is in the box.

Well Hoople, I hate to say it but I have good and bad news for you.

The bad news is we may not know for awhile what exactly is included in that kit because I cancelled the order.

The good news is I think I have finally found the real problem with the brake. I cant believe this didnt dawn on me earlier but here is the problem I have. When I purchased the bike last October the previous owner had installed an aftermarket chrome wheel. I've been having brake problems since day 1 and I have noticed that the rotor is not centered in the caliper. I don't think the previous owner installed the proper spacers for the brake. I have an apointment on Tuesday with a trusted Indy who is going to take a look at it and space it properly. Hopefully this will solve all the problems. After the brake is properly spaced I will assess whether or not I still need to rebuild anything and go from there. I have a bad feeling that I'm gonna end up replacing the rotor again as I believe it is warped from the improperly spaced caliper. I will have them measure run out on tuesday.

I'm kicking myself right now for not thinking of this sooner. I'm just hoping and praying that I can finally get this straightened out. This has been an ongoing issue and I am desperate to have it properly fixed. I'll keep you posted on what I find out from the Indy on Tuesday.

Wow. All Very interesting....
When you jack the rear wheel off the ground and turn it by hand, can you see visual run-out of the rotor.

That's OK on the piston kit. I am thinking of going by the dealership today just to see if he happens to have a kit in stock and can show me what is in it..
I am beginning to think I will get 4 seals and 4 pistons for $71.00
That I can live with.

I cant see the run out visually but I can feel a slight catch on one end of the rotor. I know it doesn't take much to be out of speck. Hopefully it's still good but we'll see on Tuesday.

Just got back from the dealership to check on those caliper kits. He did not have either kit in stock but he said they come (4) to a package so for $71 you get enough to do a complete caliper. I am Happy. So if or when the time comes, the price won't be bad at all!

Back