free website stats program Fretting ?? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fretting ??

Thinner oil might help, but I really just don't understand Moco. You remember when we all took 8th grade metal shop (well most of us did) and for one whole week we had to tear down old Clinton, Briggs and Tecumseh lawnmower engines and put them back together. As a stupid teenager I still remember the little chamfered holes in the piston rod connectors. Those holes were there for one reason and one reason only. To get oil from the splash down inside the rod/crank bearing. This stuff is not rocket science, I'm really disappointed in Moco on this.

I agree RWB, Harley's re-design doesn't address the oiling problem. Guess the comp is now a maintenance item, just replace it every 20000 miles. :lolrolling

Here's another thought... see post 28, 1st picture, Part #5.... thinking about rotation. Have they cut those grooves in the wrong direction? Instead of cupping oil & pulling it into the surfaces, it may be keeping the oil out....

Reguarding thinner oil, has anybody that uses ATF opened the primary up and looked to see if they have this fretting problem? Not saying ATF is way to go, but might be interesting to see what is found.
wilks3
:USA

Here's another thought... see post 28, 1st picture, Part #5.... thinking about rotation. Have they cut those grooves in the wrong direction? Instead of cupping oil & pulling it into the surfaces, it may be keeping the oil out....

That could be the answer why the oil's not getting in but those grooves are SO small water would hardly run down them. I just checked and the thrust washer has the same part number the old compensators used. I don't think having the boss where the sprocket rides on the sprocket retainer instead of the shaft extension will make any difference if the only way oil is supposed to get in is the same thrust washer.

Yes , engine turns counter-clock wise looking from the left side , so the groves would be backwards. Wonder why drawing is like this? Anybody have this new piece in-hand to see if it is reversable?
wilks3
:USA

Last edited:
Back