free website stats program Fretting ?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fretting ??

do you recommend on a new SE compensator install,.. to run for about a season, take it apart, clean things out & then reinstall & enjoy?

I am not recommending anything. Just writing what I feel and believe to be true. A portion is nothing more than theory. My theory is that if the fret rust is ignored, the comp will just tighten up and bind. Once dry binding, it now stops absorbing crankshaft impacts like it should... no noise, no broken springs,,, just not working 100% like it should. It seems like the compensator starts fretting almost immediately so taking it apart every 1000 miles or is not something I am going to do.

At this point my guess is since all the 103's and Trikes now are SE equipped, the Moco may now see a bunch come in under warranty and they just may decide to look deeper into the problem. But in the meantime I will just keep trying different mods... maybe one will work.

It won't be the 1st time people have looked at me and just shook their head. That has been happening for decades.

Could you drill small 1/16" holes that angle toward the rotation of the spocket to catch the oil mist that is stirred up in the primary case? This should not weaken anything and if even 1 drop of oil gets in there, its oiled. Just thinking out loud.
wilks3
:USA

It won't be the 1st time people have looked at me and just shook their head. That has been happening for decades.[/QUOTE]

Thank-You, I think you & I are of a simular mind set, we want to take a good product & if there are flaws in it try our best to improve it the best we can. There's nothing wrong with that. Thanks for sharing as you always do your findings... I do enjoy reading your post.

I have found this thread to be most imformative, however keep in mind this is an old and well known issue. If you want proof of it do search of other forums. The OEM Comp issues are well know as are the SE 1st edition, not so much data yet in on the new SE TypeA.

But of all the reports I have read, I did miss one aspect of it. Where (or when) did the first reports of the SE comp fretting and lack of oil come from or start showing up. Was this found by Moco originally on warranty work, or by Indy's reporting it, or by forum folks that started having 'sounds' goin on in their SE comps after awhile?

As to why some folks get more miles our of the SE Comps than others, I surmise is riding conditions or style, or don't notice the chatter of comp due to lack of lube or bike cranks easier or ........?

But of all the reports I have read, I did miss one aspect of it. Where (or when) did the first reports of the SE comp fretting and lack of oil come from or start showing up.

I first started reading about SE fret rust going back about a year. That is when I first saw that topic hit the web. Do you have any info dating earlier? If you do, I would like to read it.

If I never read a thing about SE fret rust and then just saw it for the first time while working on my bike,, I probably would have just cleaned it up and put it all back together thinking nothing of it. I would not have thought the problem would once again return in such a short time. If it would just stay clean for maybe 10k miles, I would not be concerned. I could live with it.

I would like to see a reply from the MOCO engineering dept on this issue. You probably would have to be a lawyer to interpret it. :D

Have had this issue with my stock and SE comp. Being a farmer,I should have thought of the obvious solution--as Jack stated- old timers way- a big nasty grease zerk. 2-3 shots every gas fillup should do.

I first started reading about SE fret rust going back about a year. That is when I first saw that topic hit the web. Do you have any info dating earlier? If you do, I would like to read it.
.. . .. .. .. .. .. ..

Hmmm I did not make note of the dates, but I can try and check them out again. Some of them are on a very large Forum and I'm currently running on one stick of ram (thanks to a lightning storm) and it takes pages forever to load there, but I will try. Funny there they don't have any error msgs, just takes forever to load. (I have another $16 stick of ram already in shipment)

I would like to see a reply from the MOCO engineering dept on this issue. You probably would have to be a lawyer to interpret it. :D

Their last two answers came in the form of SE Comp and now SE Comp type A. As usual Moco likes their answers in the 'money making form' rather than call backs or such.

Have had this issue with my stock and SE comp. Being a farmer,I should have thought of the obvious solution--as Jack stated- old timers way- a big nasty grease zerk. 2-3 shots every gas fillup should do.

That is something I have not seen done, would love to see a pic and write up of it you know of someone that did it.

That is something I have not seen done, would love to see a pic and write up of it you know of someone that did it.

I believe he was being facetious. At least I hope he was.
Were it even possible to put a zerk fitting into the compensator, could you even imagine the outcome!!!!
People tend to do one of 2 things with a grease fitting.....either they ignore it completely, or they pump grease into it every time they get close to it.....
Now picture the inner workings of your primary after it gets pumped full of grease!!!!!!!! :panic

compensator.jpg (image) Here is the compensator in Question, many of the Fl models for police and side car use had the grease fitting in the center hole of the primary cover my 1960 Fl did:s

Back