free website stats program Forward controls vs. handling? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Forward controls vs. handling?

i have forward controls on my springer and love them .we have a couple of major curveie highways here like 197 &199 (red wood highway from the coast to grants pass or)and the bike goes threw those hair pin curves great .
the only problem i had was im 6ft 2.and i got a 3 inch extention kit for mine the stock forward controls was still a little cramped for me .these extentions made the bike fit my size a lot better

Wheatstraw - welcome to the forum. I rode for years on an "off" brand that had mid controls and was pretty devoted. Then I had a break and came back to bikes last year and started out with a bike that had foot boards. I eventually ended up with a street bob with forward controls and have never looked back. What a change for the better! I find that my reach for the pavement is intuitive and I feel more secure with them as opposed to what I was used to before. I hope you enjoy your Harley and I wish you many years of pleasant riding.

Idaho John

Have had my forwards on my '07 FXDC for 5 months and love them. I left the mids on for when I want to change foot position or get more aggressive in my riding style. Nice to be able to change up like that!

I have forward controls on my 06 35th anniversary bike..I love them. My wife has mids on her 07 streetbob. When I take hers out I find it more uncomfortable and my legs feel all pushed up under me. I'm only 5'10, so if you got long legs go with the forwards. I put engine guards on and have highway pegs on them for freeway cruizin...enjoy your ride:D

I read the same kind of stuff you did about forward controls when I started riding again. And had some concerns also. I have ridden bikes bikes without them and I felt cramped. With high way pegs I felt there was too much switching from front to back to shift and brake and that might cause a lag in reaction time in an emergency. I put forward controls on my last bike and found it very comfortable. I have forward controls on my Fat Bob and I wouldn't have it any other way. The bottom line is that you need to set up your bike the way you feel most comfortable.

I read the same kind of stuff you did about forward controls when I started riding again. And had some concerns also. I have ridden bikes bikes without them and I felt cramped. With high way pegs I felt there was too much switching from front to back to shift and brake and that might cause a lag in reaction time in an emergency. I put forward controls on my last bike and found it very comfortable. I have forward controls on my Fat Bob and I wouldn't have it any other way. The bottom line is that you need to set up your bike the way you feel most comfortable.

Well put SoCal, only you can set the bike the way you want it:cheers

I have only had forwards on my bikes with no uncomfortable feeling. Sitting on mids at the dealer I also feel cramped. Forwards for me.

Back