free website stats program forward control conversion on 2010 street bob? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

forward control conversion on 2010 street bob?

I have an 09 FXDC and had the forward controls done at the dealer. It`s alot of work to install them.

I also pondered this conversion i bought a manual, a special primary locking tool,put that thing up on a jack and tackled it head-on!Best way to get to know your bike!It felt awesome to build it myself than to pay for it!

It seems like a daunting task, but if you have the time, I would highly suggest doing it yourself. Also depends on if you want black or chrome forward controls. I went with black, so the option of leaving the shifter in place was not an option for me as I thought it would look tacky against all the black.

I cannot tell you how long it took on my '06 as I spread it over several days, 30 mins here and there. The primary side is by far the most difficult, but depending on your exhaust plan to remove your exhaust as well to get the mids off. Took one days draining and removing the primary (30 min, easy part), then after I let it all drain itself well, spent another hour removing the primary components, very carefully, and laid them on a black trash bag in order so I did not mess anything up (follow the manual closely here). I also made my own primary locking tool out of copper pipe worked pretty well, one of our sponsors here sells one for much cheaper if you do not want to make your own. Unbolt the starter and pull everything off, change out the shifter (the hole does not need to be covered up in the back, just the one in the front for looks primarily. Then spent another hour putting it all back together (hardest part was that darn metal clip by for the clutch, get the right tool for this, cause it is a pain). You'll need lock tite red and blue for the different areas. Now it is just time to attach everything, job is real straightforward now.

Good luck with it, invest in a manual and read up on primary removal. if you feel comfortable enough, go for it. I learned a ton about the bike in doing so, just take your time and do not rush it.

If you go to a dealer, parts and labor will easily run you $1000.00
I went the other way. Could not stand the feeling of forward controls. I sought out a bike with Mids. I feel a more commanding position especially in turns and under hard acceleration.

yes bwalsh22 is dead on! i also spread it out over days a manual is a must and laying out the parts is also a +!One thing there is a tower gasket in between the inner n outer primary where the stock shifter shaft goes between them it is a small doughnut shape gasket the size of a nickel don't overlook it!I did and coiuld not figure out where my leaking oil was coming from!Ha! but these are the things u learn by doing it yourself~Go for it!

If you want to use chrome controls with a black primary you can spray the chrome cap that is provided to cover the shifter shaft with Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner Paint. You'll be amazed at how closely it matches Harley's wrinkle black powdercoat.

You do not have to remove your primary to remove the original shift lever. Glider posted how to get around this in the self-help area on the website under "Dyna Forward Controlls". It took me 20 minutes to hacksaw through it and $3.00 for a carrier bolt and nut from ace to fully remove the mids from my street bob.

If you want to use chrome controls with a black primary you can spray the chrome cap that is provided to cover the shifter shaft with Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner Paint. You'll be amazed at how closely it matches Harley's wrinkle black powdercoat.

Now that is a good tip, I paid for the Harley Wrinkle Black paint (spray), not worth the money.

Back