free website stats program forward control conversion on 2010 street bob? | Harley Davidson Forums

forward control conversion on 2010 street bob?

jreed84

I bought my bike 8 months ago. I really dislike the mid controls on the bike. So I was considering to by a forward control kit for my bike. Is this process a kind of do it yourself project or do I need to go to the dealership to put them on? What is all involved? What is the best kit to purchase?

The quick answer would be to go to the dealer and pickup the latest 2011 Parts and Accessories Book. They probably have a set that may have the "look" and mounting hardware that you would like (if it comes in a kit form ask the savvy parts person to printout the installation instructions) to give you a primer on what is involved. Armed with that information, do look into the aftermarket, like Custom Chrome, Drag Specialties, and J&P Cycles catalog as well as Internet Google surfing (especially if you have kit part numbers). You should be well on your way with a bit of a search! It is after all TIME & MONEY...! :newsmile093:

That is very true. Time and money is everything. Thank you for the information. I am probably going to stay with the wrinkle black .

Also consider that due to the changed seating position, you may want/need to change your handlebars. Go to the dealer and sit on a Fat Bob and Wide Glide and see how it feels.

I have a friend with a 2010 wide glide. I feels natural to me. I dont like mid controls it looks tackie to me. I love the feeling of my fist in the air and my feet up forward. I want the flying squirl sensation.

I had to add the forward controls to my bike as I am 6'2. I had them installed at the dealership alnod with the quick disconnect sissy bar, passenger pilon and saddle bags.

I will tell you though, I have been kicking around the idea of going with some 14" or 16" Ape Hangers. Just seems like it would be more comfortable. It does feel very natural, comfortable and easy to control configured the way it is now though. Here is a pic....

Attachments

• Me and Kaitlyn on bike.jpg
    Me and Kaitlyn on bike.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 58
Nice Bike. I like the V&H short shots. How do the pipes sound? What kind of a/c did you get?. Yeah I was also thinking of 14' or 16" apes black of course. How much did the forward controls cost you? I have alot of questions. I want to slam my bike into a real bobber. What are your plans

Those are the Vance and Hines Big Shots Staggerec Black pipes, Vance and Hines Duke Air Cleaner, and TTS Mastertune Race Tuner. After all was applied the dealership put it on the Dyno and came up with 76HP and 85ftlbs of torque. Not bad numbers as I understand it. I really dont know what I paid for the forward controls. I was deployed and my wife went into the dealership and told them that I wanted the Street Bob in Denim Black with Forward controls, Quick Disconnect Sissy Bar, Passenger Seat and Saddle bags, and they said "No Problem". Then when my wife sent me pics I decided I wanted to do the engine upgrades. The Pipes, Air Cleaner and Tuner for parts, instal and Dyno time cost me $1781.00. I will have to dig up the paperwork and see what we paid for the rest of it.

I think I am done with the bike for now. Will still be kicking around the new bars, other than that I cant see doing anything else. I weigh 300 lbs and am already scraping the pegs when I lean on some turns, I would like to have the lowered look, but dont really want to sacrifice the lean angle for it. Only time will tell....

Oh yeah, I would also like to have the mirrors with the turn signals that are integrated into them, I think that looks better than the turn signals being under the grips or on the forks.

hahaha, sorry, another idea that I am looking at in the future..... I think it would look really awesome to put the complete front end from the Cross Bones bike on my Street Bob!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to do it yourself, Kuryakyn makes a set of forwards that you can get from some internet discount sites for around $300 and it comes with a cap for the shifter shaft that goes through the primary which you leave in. They also have a +2" version for taller riders. The Harley forward conversion kit costs about the same if you buy it from one of the 20% off discounters. The problem is that the Harley kit has no cap for the shifter shaft. They want you to pull the primary off the bike to completely remove the shaft and they provide a plug to fill the hole. This is obviously much more involved. Some people will advise you to take the shortcut of wrapping duct tape around a hacksaw blade and sawing through the shaft where it comes out the backside of the inner primary and removing it that way. The downside is......you destroy the shaft and you still have a hole in the back of the inner primary where the shaft came through.

I have a 2010 Street Bob and had the dealer put on the forward controls. you have to remove the primary and secondary. The Primary has to be pluged from were the mid contol shifter is. IT's a great ride with the forward controls.

Back