free website stats program Formula+ | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Formula+

That is NOT what Donny wrote. Here's the section of the article verbatim where he discusses engine and gear oil. (Having read the above comments I figured it would be a good idea to read for myself what Donny actually wrote.)

From American Iron September 2010 Techline by Donny Petersen: Twin Cam Lubrication.

"Although it has been my experience that 80/90 gear oil works better at eliminating gear whine in a Big Twin transmission, others have had the opposite experience. Service managers at dealerships have told me that H-D has advised them to replace SYN3 with gear oil if there are noise issues like whining. While many think 80/90 gear oil is heavier than the 20W-50 SYN3, when both are tested at 100 deg C (212 deg F) 80-weight transmission oil is roughly equivalent to 20-weight engine oil. Furthermore, the SYN3, SAE50-weight oil component will test roughly the same as 90-weight gear oil. However, the viscosities between the two vary at lower temperatures, with the 80/90 gear oil being more viscous. Many riders like to substitute the words heavier or thicker for viscous. However, there are good reasons to use gear oil since it utilizes additives like sulphur compounds, which create acids in engine oils that preclude its usage."
"I feel uncomfortable using the same oil for three different applications that have specific, seperate needs. An engine is hot and dirty. A clutch needs cooling with lubricity for primary chain components. Transmission gears chop up molecules. Additives that help in one area may be detrimental in another. I guess the icing on the cake is that Harley-Davidson has a newly developed Formula+ in its primary chaincase and transmissions. However, I prefer specialized oil for each."

I stand corrected:s

The article is actually an excerpt from the updated version of Donny's Unauthorized Technical Guide to Harley-Davidson 1936-Present, Volume I.

Just had to go buy the magazine today. Very interesting read.:bigsmiley12:

The article is actually an excerpt from the updated version of Donny's Unauthorized Technical Guide to Harley-Davidson 1936-Present, Volume I.

Just had to go buy the magazine today. Very interesting read.:bigsmiley12:

I read the article too fast just reread the whole thing, thanks for correcting me, wonder if The MoCo might consider a deal with Spectro:s

BMW does use some Spectro products
HD dealer I use most stocks Spectro
The other Hd dealer I use when needed stocks Redline
And both charge a fair price for the products

Seeing how the syn 3 is not what they had hoped it to be yo would think the MOCO would try to get rid of that junk and stock Spectro at all there dealers or have Spectro bottle it for them JMO:s

Hoople, you are getting a clank??? I get a clunk! You better change your oil ASAP!

Clunk = GOOD, Clank = ?????

If you can't find Spectro (I can't), try Amsoil severe gear which will give you a nice smooth "clunk" and no shavings.

Hoople, you are getting a clank??? I get a clunk! You better change your oil ASAP!

Larry, yep it's about 2 octave higher than a clunk.:p I am actually in the process of changing out my tranny fluid to the Spectro 6 speed platinum. Going to give it a try.

One of the things that I liked about the HD Scoot was the sound of the shift. I asked the guy who sold me the Spectro if it was available with "Clank Enhancers" but he just looked at me funny.:)

If you can't find Spectro (I can't), try Amsoil severe gear which will give you a nice smooth "clunk" and no shavings.

Spectro.com...It's delivered almost the next day..... I have never seen anything on my magnet

Well Larry now I understand.
I switched over to Spectro 6 Speed today. The Clank is now a Clunk. I am sure it's Great for the bearings and gear box. Shifts a bunch smoother but my Clank is gone.

How come when you start bike and put in first gear you get the clunk? But, while still holding clutch in, put back into neutral, let clutch out, pull clutch back, put into first gear again, but this time no clunk? Mine,2010 FatBoy, does this every time.
So is it the trans clunking? Or is it the compensator taking up slop first time after shut down?
wilks3

+1 on Redline Shockproof Heavy. I used to use Amsoil 20W50 in all 3 holes. The last time I serviced my scoot I switched to Redline. All I can say is WOW what a difference. It definitely shifts smoother and neutral is easier to find since switching. :bigsmiley12:

Back