free website stats program Fork oil change,miles or years? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork oil change,miles or years?

I intend to do mine every two years.I've already changed it once when i put on chrome lowers;the oil that came out didn't appear to have much "oil" in it.:D.I put H-D fork oil back in.

Just a thought;I've changed fork oils on every bike i've ever owned and you need to be precise in the ammounts of oil you put back in.The same for each leg.As per your manual.

I have bought extra-large plastic syringes from either Vets or Veterinary Suppliers and i use these to mete out the fork oil.I wrap clear cello tape around the markings to prevent them from being rubbed off.

You can easily suck up the oil from a bowl via the nozzle and then safely squirt it into fork legs.
Just keep count.:)

I changed the fork oil in my 07 a little while ago using the "Gilder vaccuum method". I had some issues initially in that the left side fork was "hung up" and slightly compressed, even off the ground, such that when I took the screw out of the lower leg to drain it, the original fish fluid, shot across the garage. Swapping the oil "cleaned out the system" and after a week of use and a second oil change, things are much improved.

I agree with Smitty's approach given that he has physical evidence that changing the oil out more often may be un-necessary and provide no benefit. But, since you will always have the variables of initial product quality on the parts, proper installation and personal riding style, you will probably never really know what is the optimal maintenace cycle for your ride.

Based on info from this board, I have changed the shock oil, brake fluid, tranmission fluid, engine oil and primary oil. It is all relatively cheap, easy enough that I can do it and only requires a few tools. With what you save on labor costs by doing it yourself, you could change all the fluids every year, regardless. I know it is very likely overkill but I replace my shock oil and brake fluid on a yearly basis. All other fuids by mileage. This also lets me inspect things as I go about the service, which is always a good thing.

I know it is very likely overkill but I replace my shock oil and brake fluid on a yearly basis. All other fuids by mileage. This also lets me inspect things as I go about the service, which is always a good thing.

Nothing wrong with doing preventive maintenance ahead of schedule. You can get away with neglect & live to see the next day on a cage. Not sure if that holds true on a Scooter.

Nothing wrong with doing preventive maintenance ahead of schedule. You can get away with neglect & live to see the next day on a cage. Not sure if that holds true on a Scooter.

My dad always said a little lube goes a long way, him being a mechanic all his life and never having any major break downs, we always tried to stay a head on services:p

Jack, I went on 200 mile ride last Saturday with 2 other guys. One guy had a bald rear tire (zero tread) on his bike. It did not bother him 1 bit and I was uncomfortable the entire day. Go figure:p

Jack, I went on 200 mile ride last Saturday with 2 other guys. One guy had a bald rear tire (zero tread) on his bike. It did not bother him 1 bit and I was uncomfortable the entire day. Go figure:p

Guess he couldnt afford common senseLOL, Im leary of riding with guys like that

Back