free website stats program Fork oil change,miles or years? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork oil change,miles or years?

2007 883L. Bought new 3 year ago. 6 thousand miles, only ride weekends. My factory manual says fork oil change 20,000 miles. Will take 8-10 years to reach that. Should I wait to 20 grand or change every few years. Scoot is garage kept and well taken of.:worthy

2007 883L. Bought new 3 year ago. 6 thousand miles, only ride weekends. My factory manual says fork oil change 20,000 miles. Will take 8-10 years to reach that. Should I wait to 20 grand or change every few years. Scoot is garage kept and well taken of.:worthy

For all you folks lucky enough NOT to have a cartridge in the left side, I would just changing out the fluid EVERY year with all the rest of the stuff you do. With straight springs in both sides, changing the fluid is a snap! Well, baggers are a bit more involved, but NOT like the goofy cartridge mess!!

TQ

Change fork oil? You bet. It was the single best thing I did to improve my Dynas handling.
I went about it a little oddly though. I had the clunck develop in less than a 1000 miles. Installed upgrade washer and to the new torque specs. Got rid of that, but I still had the heavy dipping on hard braking and over light bumps and ripples you could feel in the bars a sort of vibration feeling.
Well, my right side fork tube started to pick up road dirt and dust on the tube. I would wipe it away every day after riding. I decided it was time to install a new seal. Actually I bought two. I set the bike on the jack and took the forks apart. Dumped out the original Showa factory oil that I could see was pretty weird looking. I installed new seals and filled the legs to exact factory measurement specs. Installed spacer and springs and reassembled front end. I never did measure out what the oil quantity was as it came with the bike. I wish I had, because what a difference. Either the quantity was incorrect, the weight of that fish oil or something, because I could tell right off that the front end was greatly improved over what I had been having to deal with. Since the seals could not do it, the springs are the same, I have to say the Type E fluid and the correct quantity made a big, big difference. I never did figure the quantity, but it is a lot. I bought 4 qts of the fork oil and ended up with only a 1/2 quart left. They take a lot of oil. Using the measuring spec does the trick though. :)

Only 1 side is cartridge? How strange is that..

So as long as you have the long spring in each leg, your not "cartridge" style correct? tks

Here is how goofy this is:

FRONT FORK-LEFT (FAIRING MODELS) - 2003 Harley Davidson Touring Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCUI

FRONT FORK-RIGHT - 2003 Harley Davidson Touring Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCUI

Fairing bikes only in the '02-'05 series. Here is how to get rid of 'em:

Cartridge Fork Elimination. - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back