free website stats program flhtc tranny problems | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

flhtc tranny problems

First, as others have stated, get the factory Service Manual for your bike and follow the directions to the letter.

I also thought I was going to need an air wrench to get my compensator nut off but I accomplished the task with the HD primary locking tool, a medium amount of heat, and a LONG breaker bar using continuous pressure from the legs and lower back for oomph instead of sharp blows like an air wrench would deliver.

In my service manual, it instructs you to zip tie the primary chain tensioner in the fully compressed position before removing it. Says nothing about actually zip tying it to the chain itself.

Hope this helps!

He has a 91 model, no automatic adjuster!

Oh yeah, I am single phase, I'll call or get online with J&P tomorrow and find out the compatability issues, Might even post another thread on the topic.

Oh yeah, I am single phase, I'll call or get online with J&P tomorrow and find out the compatability issues, Might even post another thread on the topic.

And when you have time, I'd like to know more about the collision that killed the deer and bent the bike up without you going down. Hoping there may be a clue to remember if I encounter one.

I have no explanation other than the Hand of God was guiding me that day. I was scanning right left as usual in deer country, the sun was just starting to brighten the horizon when the deer came at full run and hit the left side of my wheel and fender, concurrently hitting the left crash bar. I was on point low in the lane and my buddy was #2 high in the lane. I saw the deer when it was less than 5 feet from me and simply became resolved that this was the end for me. It was my time to go Home. By buddy said It was like a freight train hitting a paper mache baloon. At 70 MPH we hit and Mike said he couldn't believe what he saw, my bike never budged off of its path and the deer was sent spinning across the road back to the left. He barely missed running over part of it. I pulled over and was oddly very calm and unshaken. Mike wanted me to hold out my hand and it was steady as usual. The fender trim was bent into the tire and rubbing from the side impact, there is a quarter sized dent on the top of my fender and the crash guard was bent all the way back to the shifter.
I kicked the fender guard straight and everything else worked, so we went to the first carwash we could find (Burnet,Tx) and washed the blood, guts and stomach content off of the left side of the bike and my left leg.
later that day we met, at different times, 3 seperate Chaplains and they all said that there is a greater purpose I have to fufill in life that I havent done yet. Otherwise there is no reasoning in me still being alive, or at the least severly mangled.
I don't believe there was any learned skill or technique I had that affected the outcome. I was simply not me in controll at that time.

What a story. Great read.

I am no hunter and don't have a clue what make deer tic. But for the life of me I can't understand what makes them WANT to jump in front of a moving vehicle. I have friends who hunt and they tell me tell me a deer will run FROM you at the drop of a pin. Just the smell of a human makes them run away. Why they head straight for a running car engine just baffles me.

Jealousy, the want to feel the power of operating a vehicle but are bitterly jealous of our opposing thumbs!

OK GOT MY SERVICE MANUAL, NOW WHERE CAN i FIND A 1 7/8'' 61/2'' DEEP SOCKET TO REMOVE THE TRANNY SHAFT NUT FOR UNDER 110 DOLLARS?!! This is rediculous the cost of a socket!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK GOT MY SERVICE MANUAL, NOW WHERE CAN i FIND A 1 7/8'' 61/2'' DEEP SOCKET TO REMOVE THE TRANNY SHAFT NUT FOR UNDER 110 DOLLARS?!! This is rediculous the cost of a socket!

I found mine on E-bay for something like $20. At the time there were lots to choose from. If you happen to have a mig welder handy, you can "part" a standard socket and just mig in a piece of pipe.

Jealousy, the want to feel the power of operating a vehicle but are bitterly jealous of our opposing thumbs!

The best price i could find here was around £150 so i trawled ebay and got one from the USA with the shipping etc was about £48 i dont think the tool would be robust enough for use in an hd dealership but im pretty sure itll stand up to the 10 times or so that ill ever need to use it

Brian

Thanks guys for the tips. So off to e-bay I went, I guess you all bought all of the deep welled sockets up! I bought a shallow one and am going to the machiene shop to have them cut and splice it for me. I figure for 20 bucks cost and shipping I will still come out ahead.
Man, I'm getting road fever something bad. This is the time of year I do my LOOOONG trips. My girl wasn't meant to live in the garage this long! May need to find a support group or something!:newsmile040:

Back