free website stats program Flathead | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Flathead

The problem you might be having is there just arent ANY cheap harleys out there anymore. The old servicars you speak of were not all that desireable years ago, that no longer is the case. With each passing year the old stuff gets harder to find hence more expensive. Right now about the cheapest Harley you are going to find would be a mid seventies sportster, and even they are not cheap. Good luck in your search for a project, they are out there but not in great numbers and definately not cheap.

The problem you might be having is there just arent ANY cheap harleys out there anymore. The old servicars you speak of were not all that desireable years ago, that no longer is the case. With each passing year the old stuff gets harder to find hence more expensive. Right now about the cheapest Harley you are going to find would be a mid seventies sportster, and even they are not cheap. Good luck in your search for a project, they are out there but not in great numbers and definately not cheap.

:sThe best thing about the Flatheads is 1- they could idle all day without overheating2- they were easy to work on 3- you could make some of your own parts if needed they were very loose fitting and very forgiving motors Not very fast but fast enough for their time and bullet proof I still have a Snap On Manifold wrench in my collection that worked on them and Indians:s

I would think there would still be a few of the old servicars turned into two wheelers around somewhere. I can't imagine anyone throwing away an old harley. I've owned SOOO many old beat-up motorcycles in my lifetime, most of them not even harleys, yet I have NEVER thrown a motorcycle away. Every single one was worth cleaning up and tinkering with least a little bit and then sold for something. Heck, I've never even thrown a bicycle away, for that matter.

I don't think I'm interested in a sportster at this time. If I could find a 74inch kick-only shovel out there with a good title, and starts and rides and stops for under $4,000, with clean HD frame, I'd probably jump on it.

The problem with anything "Harley" is the desirability. That alone drives the price up. I am currently working on a flathead project that is basically assembling a solo model from parts. Let me tell you, there isn't much out there that's cheap. A few years ago, I did score a 1982 FXR shovel on ebay for $3900. I put about $500 into the bike and it runs like a dream. That being said, my shovel head search lasted about 2 1/2 years before I found that one. And let me tell you there were tons of bikes out there that went for more money and were in terrible shape. Yes they did make a lot of Servicar's but they also made a ton of Sportsters and they aren't that cheap when they are in good working order. But, that being said, good luck in your quest....

I didnt mean to suggest that anyone was throwing away old harleys. What I meant was even the older less popular models are now very desireable, hence difficult to come by, and by extension NOT cheap. It's all part of the harley mystique. Just keep in mind that the HD really stands for Hundred Dollars, sometimes just the metion will cost you Hundred Dollars. And I dont see it changeing anytime soon.

The Servicar was made for many years all the way in to the 70s , they could be ordered in several ways and options, lots of them came off the line with no chasis so the buyer could fit it to his needs , they also really helped the MOCO stay a float during the lean years of decline in production orders, I say all this because you were rite at one time they could be had on the cheep lots of them were produced ,other the Sportster and Servi have the honner of being the longest selling models for the Moco and people have relized there inportance to the MOCO history, and in the last 5 to 8 years the servi have been really going up in the price range Ive seen prices range from 12-14k for your typical servi with factory body in nice oem condition and Ive seen Pan head prices on the ones that were fitted with custom bodys from there era that are original builds, aut dealerships , florists, department stores, ect ,ect. thery are out there but not as cheep as they once werelocal and city Police motorcade auctions had many of these and they went cheep back in the day , there are plenty of Servi affectionodo caretakers out there that can help you . Good luck

Back