free website stats program Fixing Flats Roadside-What Do You Use? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fixing Flats Roadside-What Do You Use?

46 Years ago at age 16 on a 1967 Yamaha YDS 250 my buddy and I rode(160 miles) from Torrance California to the Kern River Lake Isabella. Traffic was at a stand still so we rode in the emergency lane until we hit a nail and at approx 45 miles an hour the bike weaved back an fort until we fell, the front head light was crushed so we pushed it off the Hwy and removed the rear wheel with the standard tools that came with the bikes tool kit and rolled it down to the gas station where they hot patched it for a couple of dollars. We continued are trip and enjoyed the week end and returned home with no working headlight. Still have the scar and maybe Hwy I 5 road gravel in my knee. Today its call some body to come get you (no to fix a flat).

Thanks to all who replied. Up till now I personally never had anything but my cell phone. Last road trip I took it did indeed cross my mind while riding what I would do if I got a flat. I too would hate being at the mercy of calling for help and then having to wait just for a flat. So, I decided that for now I'll carry the sticky rope/ream kit along with a foot pump. Thanks again for all the input!

They still make rubber plugs? I haven’t seen any of them in years. Of course I buy them at a local mom and pop parts store that’s been open for about 30 years. All they carry are the rope type with the gooey stuff on them between to pieces of plastic. Never had a problem with em.
I don’t know about your market, but over here we have what’s called “Mushroom Plugs”
The stalk gets pushed/ threaded through the puncture hole from the inside , and is trimmed to match the tyre tread depth; and the ‘ head’ ends up being forced against the inside of the tyre carcass.
The stalk is glued/sealed into the hole and the head is glued and is also forced against the tyre by interior air pressure.
These types of repairs are considered almost permanent; especially if the hole is in the middle of the tyre.

Yeah I’ve seen the Mushroom head plugs in auto Zone and other auto parts stores but have never used one. I have always used the “leather” strips. Fast, easy and have never had a problem with them. I just haven’t seen any of the rubber plugs that sorta resemble a bullet in years and figured they didn’t make them any more. I usually go to a local mom and pop auto parts store here that has been in business since the 1950’s. They are old school type parts stores not like these big box stores that would rather answer a phone for someone who is comparing prices between different stores than make a sale from a live cash paying customer.

I carry the rope plugs in my tool kit. I have used my air shock pump to inflate the tire. Hard on it, but when we pack 2 up it is usually for 2-3 weeks and I don't have room for a bat. powered compressor.

I carry a slime brand compressor that i can hook up to a set of pigtails exiting out the left side of my seat[the right side pigtail is for the battery tender] rope plugs and adhesive,"slime" additive and lastly about 6 o2 gas cylinders just in case the pump failed[always good to have a plan B !] just a precautionary note on th 02 cartridges-hold with a rag or the polyplastic expanding mesh that some kits come with because it will be like a scene from dumb and dumber as the contents of the cartridge empty into your tyre and your hand is frozen to the cartridge-dont ask how i know.....I run a fatboy solid rear rim on my Nostalgia so that hopefully if and when the rear picks up a nail,that i might have a better chance of repair as against a spoked wheel-40 holes for air to escape from! Of course if the rim to bead seal is broken its gonna be an uphill journey.

We were all young and some poor,I know I was.
I've never had a flat on the bike and shutter to think it may happen someday. I'm not really prepared for such but after reading this discussion it may be prudent to have plugs and a compressor I can run off the battery.
I do however carry my cell phone and AmEx

Back