free website stats program Fixing Flats Roadside-What Do You Use? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fixing Flats Roadside-What Do You Use?

Was wondering what you all use to fix flats roadside. I know there are kits out there with patches and air cartridges, etc. Also was just curious, have any of you ever used Fix-A-Flat in a jam? If so, how did your bike handle? So, what you all favor to have with you on a road trip for flats?

For starters, I don't keep any wire spoke wheels on my scoots. I have mag wheels that I can repair in a matter of minutes, as I keep a tire plug kit and a foot pump in one of my saddle bags. I hate to find myself at the mercy of calling for help to fix a flat tire. Secondly, I suggest you never use "Fix a flat" on any tire, as it makes one heck of a mess when it comes time to break that tire down for replacement.

X 2 on the mag wheels with a plug kit and foot pump in the saddle bags. It can and will get you to a shop to get it repaired /replaced. I also agree with NCBILL on the “ fix a flat”. It does leave a huge mess inside. I learned that lesson the hard way a bunch of years ago.

I carry the sticky tar rope strips with ream. I prefer the strips over plugs only in the case of an irregular shape puncture. I have a battery power mini compressor to inflate my tires. I have but don't like the Co2 cartridge kit for inflating. If you don't do the cartridge exactly right, you get frozen hands and nothing in the tire. I replace repaired tires with new, ASAP

Never had a flat on a motorcycle.More than 100,000 miles.I carry a plug kit.Only had 2 flats on cars that I have owned in 54 years of driving.I did have a hub collapse on a spoke rim on 1965 Sportster. Spot weld broke on the hub,luckily I was doing 25 miles per hour!

I carry the sticky tar rope strips with ream. I prefer the strips over plugs only in the case of an irregular shape puncture. I have a battery power mini compressor to inflate my tires. I have but don't like the Co2 cartridge kit for inflating. If you don't do the cartridge exactly right, you get frozen hands and nothing in the tire. I replace repaired tires with new, ASAP

If I had posted, my post would have been the above word for word with one exception. The rope plugs work every time but the rubber plugs, not so much.;)

If I had posted, my post would have been the above word for word with one exception. The rope plugs work every time but the rubber plugs, not so much.;)

They still make rubber plugs? I haven’t seen any of them in years. Of course I buy them at a local mom and pop parts store that’s been open for about 30 years. All they carry are the rope type with the gooey stuff on them between to pieces of plastic. Never had a problem with em.

They still make rubber plugs? I haven’t seen any of them in years. Of course I buy them at a local mom and pop parts store that’s been open for about 30 years. All they carry are the rope type with the gooey stuff on them between to pieces of plastic. Never had a problem with em.

Yup and the predominantly used roadside fix for many motorcycle enthusiasts. Stop N Go is a widely used kit; they have "Pocket" kit for motorcycle tire repair. Maybe I just never learned the technique but have had bad luck with the Stop N Go plugs but the rope plugs just work. I have several hundred miles on a rear tire that was rope plugged; I will not throw away a fairly new tire because it has been punctured provided the puncture is near the center of the tire.

https://www.stopngo.com/

I use my cell phone.Only had 1 flat,I noticed a little shimmy in turns,then smelled rubber,limped as far as I could.When I had a bagger I kept fix a flat on me.I know it's a mess,but when I'm stranded,especially far from home,that's not my top priority.Plug and compressor sound good,maybe if I get another bagger,I'll keep those.Oh and they repaired my flat,rode it to the cords,no problem.

Back