free website stats program First wreck and what to expect? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First wreck and what to expect?

Ace, sorry to hear about your mishap, but good to hear you and your fiance are OK.

Given the age of the bike, and the amount of damage you're describing, it will likely be a total loss. Most parts on wrecked motorcycles are replaced, not repaired. If you've added customization since you purchased the bike, receipts will help document what you had on the bike and how much it cost. Since you only purchased it a year ago, the bill of sale from then can help establish the value.

If it is a total loss, and you don't agree with the amount the insurance company offers, be objective about why you feel it's worth more. Having documentation showing comparable bikes and their prices, especially with notations about customization differences, will support your case a lot better than being emotional about it not being enough, or verbally attacking the adjuster.

Good luck on your claim. Hope you're back on the road soon.

Thanks Mikey. I actually have my loan through State Farm, along with my insurance, and they have a deal where if the bike is a total loss then the loan is just considered paid off. It's called total loss debt cancellation. Which is what I'm figuring will be what happens. I only have about $350 in the bike because of pipes I've added on. Everything else was already on it when I bought it from the dealer.

State Farm has been very helpful so far, so hopefully that holds out!

If your ride is not totaled, do not accept the bike until you have made a couple hour test ride and put it through it's paces. There made be hidden things which can only be determined by riding it.

As ironmark said be there or make your own list of damages and compare. Stealer will give it a once over and miss alot of stuff.One local dealer missed a whole side of my bike cause He thought it only fell on one side.Needless to say I didn't keep the bike there.

I'm sure I don't need to say it but just be thankful that you guys are not worse off. The bike will get taken care of one way or another.

Amen to that, blue. I guess I'm just one if those people that never really got attached to his bike. I mean I loved riding it, I was proud of it, but it's not the end of the world that it's wrecked. Now if my soon-to-be-wife had been seriously injured or killed? THAT would have ended my world.

Well I thought they were at least. Bike has now been at the dealer just sitting for 2 weeks. Dealer hasn't done an estimate. State Farm apparently sent someone out, they looked at the bike, pulled a number out of a hat, and sent me a check. There's no way the check they cut will cover everything. Not a happy camper right now with the dealer or SF.

Well I thought they were at least. Bike has now been at the dealer just sitting for 2 weeks. Dealer hasn't done an estimate. State Farm apparently sent someone out, they looked at the bike, pulled a number out of a hat, and sent me a check. There's no way the check they cut will cover everything. Not a happy camper right now with the dealer or SF.

Were you present during the inspection to point out possible points of interest?

Back