free website stats program First wreck and what to expect? | Harley Davidson Forums

First wreck and what to expect?

Ace84

Well, unfortunately it finally happened. 10 years of riding and my fiancée and I went down Sunday afternoon. Back country road, loose gravel in a huge pothole, 2012 Harley long slide champions! We are both ok besides some road rash, bruises, and soreness. Thank God for that.

Now, the bike is a different story. It slid and rolled side over side at least once I know. Just about everything has damage in one way or another and the engine does not sound good at all. Trailering it to the shop today and started the insurance stuff. Any tips or advice from those of you who have been there done that?

Thanks in advance and ride safe!
-Ace

I had my first lay down 1 month ago. The bike ahead of me desided it was better to lay his down instead of going around a dropped saddle bag. :panic I have a broken collar bone, bike did not fare as well (totaled). We had just changed Insurance that week, they gave me a fair price. I will be shopping for a new one as soon as my shoulder can handle the test rides. :D And by the way, I was able to use my HOG member ship for once; called the number on the back of the card and they came and towed the bike to the nearest HD. Thank god it was only 5 miles away. Free of charge

Show adjuster receipts for ALL damaged after markets parts, stay calm, have the frame and swing arm checked also the wheels and brakes besides the cosmetics, request only OEM H D parts be used for estimate, Good Luck

Glad that you guys are not hurt too much. If there is any type of frame damage the bike will be totaled. You really don't need receipts because the HD dealer will see everything that needs to be replaced and should be included in the estimate. I was there when the dealer estimated the damage on my bike when I got rear ended and I pointed out damage that the dealer did not notice so I would suggest that you should be there when they go over the bike. It will take some time to get the bike repaired because all the painted part have to be ordered and it takes some time to get them in, the HD dealers don't do body & paint work they just swap parts.

Thanks everyone. Im not sure what they will do since there is damage on pretty much everything. Frame might be ok, but everything else is busted to some degree.

If your crash bar is bent, it's likely the top center mounting hole ripped away from the frame gusset. Dealers won't weld that, will replace frame, which usually ends up totaling the bike. It really does not take much to total the bike.
I'm glad that you both suffered only relatively minor injuries.

If the frame is OK they will most in likely fix the bike. If it was my bike I would hope that the bike is totaled by the insurance co, that way I can get a new bike and be back on the road for the summer. But it is your bike so maybe you want that bike repaired, being that the bike is a 2012 model you should get a good pay off if the bike is totaled but it will take either frame damage or the repair cost to be more than the bikes value for the insurance co to total the bike.

Really glad both of you are not badly injured. You have gotten some really good advice, and I agree that you need to be proactive with the dealer and insurance agent. Try to stay calm and objective. If there has to be any decisions your not comfortable with make sure that you understand what is being said and how it will impact you. Of course the last resort is that you have to retain an attorney to do your negociating.

Thanks again everyone. The bike is a 2000 that I purchased used last summer. I'm actually hoping its totaled out at this point because it will be better all the way around. Then if I decide to ride again after healing up I can just start from scratch.

Back