free website stats program First Harley | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Harley

Sounds like the what I need lisr is growing.
# 1 Service Manual
# 2 Heated gloves / gear
# 3 Rain gear
# 4 Update GPS Cause I'm going for a road trip

He replaced the tensioners last summer along with a 40k service he knew the original owner and had all the service records!! I test rode it had my wife watch for smoke on acceleration and deceleration it passed all the tests! He was very meticulous about maintaining and keeping it clean!! I bought a redline oil change kit and did the transmission and engine now I’m doing the primary not sure what torque the torx bolts go to so any information you have would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Thanks for the hospitality everyone!!

All sounds good but if the tensionerare OEM and not CYCO the the possibilty of failure still exists. The OEM tensioners are Delron which has proven unsatisfactory for long term performance under the heavy constant spring pressure, heat and oil. The OEM chain also had machining burrs that would wear the tensioners but now that the chain has been polished, the OEM tensionrs will likely last longer but for peace of mind, should be changed to CYCOs at some point in the not to distant future. Do you know if the inner cam bearings were changed when the tensioners were replaced?

Not tellling you that the sky is falling but just pointing our weak spots in the Twin Cam motor that most address at sone point, particularly if planning to own the bike for a long time and, perhaps, at some point make performance upgrades.

Sounds like you plan on doing regulare maintenance and if repairs are required, DIYing them. ThunderRogue is right, you need the OEM service manual, preferaby hard copy if you can find one and not Clymer or Hanes, HD only.;)

I may be sounding like a broken record here to some, but cutting open the oil filter is a good habit to get into. Those OEM orange tensioner shoe particles really stand out. :)

Back