free website stats program First Harley | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Harley

Congrats on the purchase. Just a maintenance reminder though; how many miles on the bike? Early Twin Cams had issues with the cam chain tensioners failing without warning; could be a minor thing but could be bad juju. Do you know how many owners before you? Check with the seller to see if the cam chain tensioners have been replaced. If you can't verify and have some basic mechanical skills and tools, get the HD service manual and you can check them and replace them if necessary as a DIY project. No, the sky is not falling but chain tensioner failure in pre '07 Twin Cams is a "thing" and should be addressed.

Congrats on the purchase. Just a maintenance reminder though; how many miles on the bike? Early Twin Cams had issues with the cam chain tensioners failing without warning; could be a minor thing but could be bad juju. Do you know how many owners before you? Check with the seller to see if the cam chain tensioners have been replaced. If you can't verify and have some basic mechanical skills and tools, get the HD service manual and you can check them and replace them if necessary as a DIY project. No, the sky is not falling but chain tensioner failure in pre '07 Twin Cams is a "thing" and should be addressed.
It's a Dyna so, pre '06 for them.

ThunderRogue said:
Agreed. I can't help myself...OCD SUCKS! :(

No harm, no foul; your last post was correct, just didn'[t see how it added anything to my post. I do hope the OP pays attention, asks questions if he is unaware and does follow up. A nasty tensioner failure could have a very negative effect on his current entusiasm and excitement over the purchase. I would hate to see that happen.;)

He replaced the tensioners last summer along with a 40k service he knew the original owner and had all the service records!! I test rode it had my wife watch for smoke on acceleration and deceleration it passed all the tests! He was very meticulous about maintaining and keeping it clean!! I bought a redline oil change kit and did the transmission and engine now I’m doing the primary not sure what torque the torx bolts go to so any information you have would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Thanks for the hospitality everyone!!

Last edited by a moderator:
He replaced the tensioners last summer along with a 40k service he knew the original owner and had all the service records!! I test rode it had my wife watch for smoke on acceleration and deceleration it passed all the tests! He was very meticulous about maintaining and keeping it clean!! I bought a redline oil change kit and did the transmission and engine now I’m doing the primary not sure what torque the torx bolts go to so any information you have would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
For the Primary Cover? I show 108-120 in-lbs. You need a manual sir.

Back