free website stats program First Accident on new bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Accident on new bike

as has been said glad you come out of it without personal damage chrome and paint a lot easier to repair. good luck with your repairs, as Bubbie says make sure all repairs are done to YOUR satisfaction.

Personally I would have had the police come and investigate. Although the driver of the truck "seemed" like a nice guy he has no idea how the company will handle this accident. I had an accident last year and the woman that hit me was very nice and apologetic but her insurance company wasn't. It took a while to get reimbursed for the damage.

Glad you are ok, we had a similar thing happen recently... A pickup with garbage bags in the back, me and a friend both took notice and backed off, sure enough, a couple of bags flying but it was all good. Should have seen the look on the truck drivers face when we went by!!!

Glad you're OK. New bikes must attract accidents. My FLTRU was less than 48 hours old when some guy backed into it in a parking lot. I can't say I was gentlemanly at the time but he had insurance and as I calmed down and contacted them, Allstate, and verified that all was in order, sent them the estimate and got a check about a week later. All that was scuffed was the corner on one bag. Now I got a spare bag.

Ditto on the shout out to Wildwest Motor Sports in Greeley, CO.

Debris and cargo falling off open trucks and trailers continues to be a substantial hazard for motorcycles. Around here the biggest problem are the small time metal recyclers who load all types of scrap metal on an open trailer and take off down the road. It's mostly the small 1' to 2' pieces that fall off as the bigger chunks are chained down. A curved piece of steel 2' long can be a literal killer in no time. If on a motor ya gotta be very aware of the traffic ahead of you, but that chunk of metal may of been laying there for quite a while and you never see the truck/ trailer it fell of of. It's hard to scan the roadway surface in front of you in traffic, so you've got to be able to swerve quickly.

The worst load I've ever seen fall off was about a dozen 10' railroad ties that came off a flatbed semi trailer. Luckily I was in my pickup and managed to dodge them by taking the shoulder. Five or so other cars weren't so lucky and sustained bad damage. It would of killed a biker. The semi truck just kept going oblivious to the damage he'd left behind.

Glad you're ok. Got to be careful and lucky out there.

Back