free website stats program Fire in the Shop | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fire in the Shop

...and stick fabric softener sheets all over

This really work? The stinky part of them goes away over time when exposed to air. I'd think you'd have to change them monthly or something. I've always used steel wool in the pipes myself.

Man That has to be a nightmare... Take several days just to start breathing again... I know you lost a lot of memories.. Good luck from Alabama

XL, I'm sorry to hear of your shop going up in smoke. I'm glad no one , or pets were hurt. Things can be replaced... Around here there are several business's that rent monthly these little buildings, some call them PODS (Portable on demand Storage). if that's an option, maybe the insurance Company will help defray some of the rental... Good Luck !!

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. I had a Derksen shed brought in and am in the process of running an extension cord out there for the Tender. It will have to do until Spring. You know it's like everything else. Live and learn. I've picked up some good Winter storage advise here. I'll be putting it to good use.

As TQ said "mothball them"
A shed does pose other hidden problems.I live in New England and understand the severe weather swings from 0 1 day to 45 the next over the winter.An unvetilated shed will cause the bikes to sweat and coroade.

Ive had great success with wd 40 to keep my shiny parts in order.Some have laughed at the idia but Ive been doing it for over 12 years on 1 bike and the chrome/bolts etc.. is near perfect.

Course you must take care not to get it all over the rubber products.

xlcruiser,
Very sorry to hear of your loss to fire but you saved the bikes and no one hurt.

We made it through the Black Saturday fires on Feb 7th here and were lucky to save our house and main shed after a hard battle.

Any fire is a nasty event..

Regards,
AR

This really work? The stinky part of them goes away over time when exposed to air. I'd think you'd have to change them monthly or something. I've always used steel wool in the pipes myself.

my pops taught me this one (he is wise), they hold their smell along time, if they dont get wet. i would guess 6 months or so. just extra precaution if you got mice and such that might get into the area. steel wool sounds good also.

XLCruser, sorry for the losses in the fire, but this kinda reminds us that most of us park our rides in a garage, and if there is a gas water heater, or gas dryer, you have open flame when they are in operation. So be careful, when parking your bike, make sure if you stow it for the winter, that the fuel petcock is off and fix any leaks if you think you smell gas.

Also know that electrical sparks generate ozone which attacks rubber, so even if you have an electric heater, dryer do make sure your garage is reasonably ventilated and all the lint traps and ducts cleaned seasonally at least. Gas vapors generally are low, that is why most people' heaters are raised off the floor...make sure you have BOTH a smoke detector and CO2 detector, in there as well. Cause ya never know.

Be carefull on covering the bike if its inside an unheated building. Last year I bought a nice bike cover from Harley and put it over the bike. I happen to read in the forum about the bike getting wet from condensation - I checked mine and sure enough it was wet. Took the cover off. The building is a pole barn with a cement floor, haven't noticed any other moisture problems.

If you cover it - check it often.

Back