free website stats program Fire in the Shop | Harley Davidson Forums

Fire in the Shop

xlcruser

I woke up night before last to the dogs barking and the shop on fire. Actually the AC in the shop. We were able to save the bikes, but lost 60% of the bldg. We live aways out of town it took the Fire Dept 10+ minutes to get there. Now my babys are out in the cold. I have another shed I plan on cleaning out to park them in, but it has no power. The shop was heated. The bldg is solid, good roof, doors seal good, but isn't finished inside and it wont be long the cold, cold weather will be here. What is going to be the best way to take care of them with no battery tender or heat? I wont be able to get the shop rebuilt until spring. Any ideas will greatly appreciated.

I woke up night before last to the dogs barking and the shop on fire. Actually the AC in the shop. We were able to save the bikes, but lost 60% of the bldg. We live aways out of town it took the Fire Dept 10+ minutes to get there. Now my babys are out in the cold. I have another shed I plan on cleaning out to park them in, but it has no power. The shop was heated. The bldg is solid, good roof, doors seal good, but isn't finished inside and it wont be long the cold, cold weather will be here. What is going to be the best way to take care of them with no battery tender or heat? I wont be able to get the shop rebuilt until spring. Any ideas will greatly appreciated.

Couple guys I know keep their bikes in the house and the dogs in the shed.
Yup.....they're single (couple times over).

ride safe

Sorry for your loss. Fire is a terrible thing. Hope it's all worked out before
the bad weather sets in.

ride safe

WOW!!! I'm glad you were able to save the bikes. Can you run an extension cord out to the other building to run the Battery Tender off of?? Also I'd buy some type of cover for the bikes. Before you put them up for the winter put a good coat of wax on them too. (or wipe them down real good with Pledge.)

So sorry to hear about the fire but glad to hear you were able to save the bikes and a few other things. If you can't run extension cords to the shed you'll want to go out there every other week and start them up and run them for a while.

bummer! sorry to hear that. if no storage options pop up. oil change, stabilizer in the tank, pull the battery (sneak them in the house), cover em up good, get the weight off the tires, and stick fabric softener sheets all over, in the pipes, near any wires, every where. to keep out the critters from nesting on or in your bikes. first i would be hitting up them friends for favors.

Last edited:
I do NOT recommend periodically starting and running a "stored" bike. Starting a cold bike and running it for a short period at idle with the oil temp not getting hot enough to boil off any condensation will do more harm than good. It is my opinion that "mothballing" the bike as described above is a superior recommendation if you can not get the bikes out on the road frequently and run them a while at operating temp. Better to fill the tanks full, add a stabilizer, change all the lubricating fluids, and pull the batteries out and take them where you can put them on a tender. Cover the bikes well to try to keep the weather off them and the beasties from getting in and chewing on stuff. Put them up on something to take the weight off the tires.

TQ

Good advice on mothballing for all those who do not have a heated building to keep the bikes in. Glad you were able to get them out before the fire got to them. Good luck with storing them.

bummer! sorry to hear that. if no storage options pop up. oil change, stabilizer in the tank, pull the battery (sneak them in the house), cover em up good, get the weight off the tires, and stick fabric softener sheets all over, in the pipes, near any wires, every where. to keep out the critters from nesting on or in your bikes. first i would be hitting up them friends for favors.

Fabric Softener Sheets? What good does that do? Where do you put them?

Back