free website stats program Finally found my family | Harley Davidson Forums

Finally found my family

phunny

Just found the site and yes I’m new and old, new to the site, old to the world. Currently ride a ‘04 Fatboy, my lady rides an ‘04 Sportster Roadster working on a ‘10 Street Glide, waiting to work on two custom bikes & a ‘76 Sportster that has been sitting for probably 30 years.
I mentioned that I currently ride the 04 Fatboy, (fuel injected) and I didn’t want to jump in with a problem, yet I’m having a challenge with the Fuel sending unit assembly along with the pump, changed it out once , the pump worked, gage didn’t, run it for awhile until I was tired of running out if gas, pulled it out again and replaced the wiring and pump, put it back in , now pump or sending don’t work, figured I messed up the wiring going back in! What is the trick for getting that dang fuel unit back in without screwing up the wires? Oh and this time coming out the float came loose from the rheostat, where is the best place to get that unit, other than the dealership $$$$?

Welcome. There is a trick to getting the unit in and out of the tank. The float arm can be disengaged from its position by pulling out on it hard, then swinging it so there isn't that awkward bend. If you look at the bracket, you should be able to see how it works. I don't know of any aftermarket float/rheostat's, but Ronnies HD has decent internet prices.

I would pick up a genuine Harley service manual for that bike,I know mine has saved me a lot of time and grief.
Welcome from Ohio.

Back