free website stats program Final drive belt | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Final drive belt

I had a little stone dead centre of the belt once. Dealer told me to take the stone out but leave the belt. He was right. Belt lasted another 3 years. When you change the belt you "should" most times also change the sprockets and that's where the financial vortex starts to get noticable.

I had a little stone dead centre of the belt once. Dealer told me to take the stone out but leave the belt. He was right. Belt lasted another 3 years. When you change the belt you "should" most times also change the sprockets and that's where the financial vortex starts to get noticable.

I thought the financial vortex started when I rolled my Electra Glide out the showroom door.....:D

I thought the financial vortex started when I rolled my Electra Glide out the showroom door.....:D

You getting yourself all muddled up with the dual cyclone. You know the one I mean?
The dealer operated one that touches down right in the centre off your wallet.:D

Got the clymer manual now, lots of pictures which i find very usefull,ive done another 500miles since i first noticed hole in belt, i put a few spots of tipex around it so i can easily see if it gets any worse,but as soon as all the gaskets and belt arrive i will change it, i need a new rear tyre as well, so change that to, probably sounds daft but i am looking forward to doing the job.

Here is a link to a short primer on how to do the deed. You may want to get the appropriate pages from the HD Service Manual, as sometimes the Clymer manual is rather "generic" when it comes to specifics on your specific model. JMHO...better to be prepared than start "cold turkey" :small3d015:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/transmiss...drive_train/11315-drive_belt_replacement.html

Hi, thats a great link,thanks for that,i like pictures,makes things easy to follow.i think your right about getting a factory manual,plan on keeping this bike so be good to have, i am going to need a good lift to,its only money hey LOL! thanks again.

Spare emergency belt...That's right!. If you're worried, buy the emergency belt. We were on a ride this past Monday (dealers are all closed). One of the guy's belts fell off right in front of me. Peeled off like a black cobra snake. He coasted to the side of the road. Then out of no where, Dan (the man) pulled out a split emergency belt from his saddle bag. 14 of us out for the million mile ride and no one (not even the old timers) had ever heard of this belt. It just snakes onto the sprockets and screws hold it together. Cost about $100 (of course) and he was able to limp home without a tow. Most of us are going to get one and let it sit in a loop at the bottom of the saddle bag. You do need a few tools to remove the belt guard 7/8" nut driver (not necessary but it helped), and it helped to loosen the rear wheel a bit to get the belt screwed together and then pull the wheel back to tighten it. We were all blown away..Dan's the man, we are still in disbelief. Who'd a thunk!

Back