free website stats program Final drive belt | Harley Davidson Forums

Final drive belt

madlee

Hi all
Cleaning my bike today and noticed something stuck to the drive belt, a small stone had got embeded in the belt,on the outer not the teeth. pulled it out but it has damaged the belt.I know i need to change it, but how much damage will they take, and has anyone had one snap.

Their pretty tough but with a stone hole in the backing, it compromises the integrity of the belt. Best to have it changed and not be sorry later when you get stuck.

I'd change it right away because until you do, you'll always be thinking about it. Just me...I tend to be a worrier anyhow.

I have had two belts changed on my 1988 FLHS EVO. The first one because I lost some teeth on the belt. Then I had one break. I lived on a sandy clay road and that soil just ate up the belts and pulleys. I think the condition of the roads has a great deal to do with the longevity of the belt. I have known a lot of belts with holes in them to go many thousands of miles. If you can afford it then I would change it. Want to wait, then that choice is up to you. Go with Glider. Fossil

Looking at the belt again, ive got to change it, theres a lot of bike to remove to change it, but can check on things whilst doing it. Thank you for replies, it will be on my mind till ive changed it.

Do you have the service manual? Mine gives examples (pictures) of wear type and other belt conditions and reccomendations as to each condition.

I did mine my self so the cost was $217 for the belt and an afternoon of work......not really hard to do just watch how you take things apart and take your time.

Got the clymer manual now, lots of pictures which i find very usefull,ive done another 500miles since i first noticed hole in belt, i put a few spots of tipex around it so i can easily see if it gets any worse,but as soon as all the gaskets and belt arrive i will change it, i need a new rear tyre as well, so change that to, probably sounds daft but i am looking forward to doing the job.

Back