free website stats program Fatboy handling | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy handling

I ride a Fatboy and find the handling OK although i do take it easy everywhere i go. But recently i fitted a Saddlemen Explorer seat for better passenger comfort and it completely changed my ride? It's lowered my position and seems to hold me into the saddle much tighter, giving me much more confidence going into turns and corners - i'm not sure if that's a good thing?

But aside from the seat, this Fatboy has brought back the feeling i had when i first started out on Bikes in 1979. I can't stop looking at it and i can't stop smiling when i'm riding it - it's Flippin great!! maybe that's just a Harley thing? :newsmile036:

I ride a Fatboy and find the handling OK although i do take it easy everywhere i go. But recently i fitted a Saddlemen Explorer seat for better passenger comfort and it completely changed my ride? It's lowered my position and seems to hold me into the saddle much tighter, giving me much more confidence going into turns and corners - i'm not sure if that's a good thing?

But aside from the seat, this Fatboy has brought back the feeling i had when i first started out on Bikes in 1979. I can't stop looking at it and i can't stop smiling when i'm riding it - it's Flippin great!! maybe that's just a Harley thing? :newsmile036:

+1....I changed the seat on my 08 Fatty. the original seat felt like I was sitting on a piece of plywood. My new seat lowered me about an inch and with a narrower nose I feel more like I am sitting in the bike rather than on it. Made a bit of difference in handling as well. Not the way the bike handles, but the way I handle the bike. The Fatty never was a bad handling bike, but it is a cruiser. The first time I scraped the floorboard it was a little pucker-factor. I'm used to it now.

No problems with my fatboy, you will scrape the floorboards if you take too sharp a turn, but thats why they tilt up when it happens

I have a 2008 Fatboy. I feel that I must be a little more aggessive in the turns than "normal"; I think that is because I am not used to the wider tires; but it handles great, no complaints.

No, it is not lowered. Since I've only experienced the wobble one time I'm inclined to think that road conditions may have been a factor.

My wife is 5'4" and handles her Fatbboy without issues. We both never considered that it had any unusual handling characteristics. Do the pre-ride inspection and you should be fine. Paula needed it lowered a little so rather than lowering the bike she put on a Reach Seat and it made all the difference. Good luck.

My first post on this forum so I hope I don't tread on anyone's toes.

I hear similar remarks here in England, 'Softails don't handle, 'are uncomfortable' etc etc, this is rubbish imo.

I find my Fatboy handles well, its never put me in a situation that has caused me to think otherwise. This is on English roads as well, not the best in the world I can tell you.

Modifications have been made to iron out everything on the bike I thought needed improvement, in respect of handling this only involved stiffening-up the rear shocks and fitting 20grade fork oil.

Edit: Also fitted Avon Venom tyres. The standard Dunlop's are hated over here, it maybe something to do with our roads, but almost everybody replaces them asap.

Last edited:

I ride a 99 FB and all I can say is I never want to ride anything else. Yea, it's a big heavy and won't handle like a cafe racer, but all in all it will do what you want it to do, when you want it, and never leave you wanting.

Don't worry about treading on anyones toes. There's nothing wrong with an unbiased opinion, if it's truly unbiased. Just curious...what prompted you to make the suspension changes? Did the stock set up not get the job done or was it just squirrely? English roads aren't any different than some of the roads here so just curious why you felt the need to make suspension changes. Thanks

Jim

My first post on this forum so I hope I don't tread on anyone's toes.

I hear similar remarks here in England, 'Softails don't handle, 'are uncomfortable' etc etc, this is rubbish imo.

I find my Fatboy handles well, its never put me in a situation that has caused me to think otherwise. This is on English roads as well, not the best in the world I can tell you.

Modifications have been made to iron out everything on the bike I thought needed improvement, in respect of handling this only involved stiffening-up the rear shocks and fitting 20grade fork oil.

Edit: Also fitted Avon Venom tyres. The standard Dunlop's are hated over here, it maybe something to do with our roads, but almost everybody replaces them asap.

Don't worry about treading on anyones toes. There's nothing wrong with an unbiased opinion, if it's truly unbiased. Just curious...what prompted you to make the suspension changes? Did the stock set up not get the job done or was it just squirrely? English roads aren't any different than some of the roads here so just curious why you felt the need to make suspension changes. Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim - Adjusted the rear shocks because I mainly ride 2 up and sometimes with luggage and the rear bottomed out too easily. The forks worked pretty well but I read on another US forum that a heavier oil worked well and I would now concur with that view.

he live's in Devon, man i would not even walk on some of those roads let alone ride a bike :D, last time i was down that area i was on a softail copy (VL800 Volusia) and i had trouble with the suspension bottoming out also on some of the corners it was possible to drag the lower frame rails due to the horrendous camber and hair pin bends Lynton/Lynmouth and Porlock Hill spring to mind - great on a Downhill MTB tho :D

:D Can only agree with you about Porlock Hill especially :small3d031:. Fatty still handled it OK though :s

Back