free website stats program Fatboy for my first ride? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy for my first ride?

Get the Fat Boy!! I bought my first bike last October (Honda 750) at age 49, took the Rider's Edge course, and within two weeks knew I wanted something bigger.

Under 6 foot, and under 200 lbs. Had not ridden a bike between 1984 and 2002. Bike in 84 was a little kawasaki (but I was smaller then too!).

Bought my '02 RK without test driving.... and went back to pick it up.... jumped on it in the parking lot and first thought was "This bike is too big for me"...

I let my original Driver's license / moto endorsement lapse, so I had to written and road test again. Failed the first time.... then passed my State's road test ON MY RK!

Immediately after that took my safety course.... and handled the little bikes like a pro... knees got in the way on sharp, slow turns, but that was actually beneficial, because it taught me LOTS about balance and stability.

6 years later.... I wouldn't trade the RK for anything.... but don't think I could RIDE a smaller bike.

My ONLY suggestion about buying a "training bike".... look in the paper for a POS... beat up, old, and cheap. Make sure it is safe and mechanically sound. Buy it, get 3 to 5K miles on it, learn how to do tight turns, slow stuff, panic stops, etc. on IT, rather than on an expensive, long term investment with lots of shiny chrome!

After you are SUPER comfortable, buy your fatty.... and sell the old lil bike to someone else that needs a lerner bike... you'll probably get all your money back that you originall paid for the lil bike!

Lastly, insurance for a smaller, lerner bike is less... smaller engine, less value, etc. PLUS, if you ride that for a year, then your 2nd year of insurance drops dramatically (cuz you survived the first year...lol). Then the Fatty ins is more reasonable.

good luck!

I bought a Heritage Softail for my first ride.... was gonna get a DRZ400SM, and that got nixed by the accountant... she suggested a cool bike... so, I got a used 2002 FLSTCI.

I hadnt ridden a bike when I bought it, couldnt test ride it. Had to ask the owner to ride it on the trailer for me, and towed it home.

Took the course, learned on the lot bikes, and then started riding mine. Even took my licence on it. Failed it on the 250 Rebel, passed it on the Heritage. Couldnt hear the instructor for the whole ride...

I made the right decision on getting a used Harley. Good resale, easy bike to ride, fun to ride, can do a few custom bits and pieces and not feel too guilty.

If you're confident after riding the school bikes, I say get the Fatty. If you aren't confident, then get something that is more forgiving, and that you can build up some miles on.

I've put over 1§00 miles on it in the last month and a half, and if it would stop raining, I would put on some more!

Getting a small bike to start out on is only a waste of money. Take the course, get the bike you want and get a feel for it. Otherwise, you have to get a feel foe a Sportster, then a Super Glide, then your Fatboy and you've also blown about an extra $15,000 (or whatever you lose after you trade up). As far as handling the bike, I'm 6'2" and 185 on a Night Train with no problems and my bike is only 30 pounds lighter than a Fat Boy.

You should get the bike you want. When i was looking for my first bike i was looking for the vrod. and changed my mind and got my 06fatboy for my first bike and love it. you can do some much to it and the ride is great. yes i am looking at a street glid for a seconded bike but i would never let my fatoy go.

Back