free website stats program Fair Trade? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fair Trade?

xlcruser

I've got an 09 XL1200C sitting in my garage. Sweet bike, low miles, warranty, V&H Short shots, big breather, new power comander etc. The other day I was at a local Indy in town looking for stuff for the RK and we were talking about the Sporty in the garage, thats when he offed me a 2005 Harley-Davidson Dyna Glide Super Glide FXD/FXDI. It has 22,000 miles on it and has a couple mods. Pipes, breather, been re mapped. It's in real good shape, been kept in the garage. Tires, breaks all good. Just been completely serviced. Straight Trade. No Cash. Except for local tax. What do you all think? He's asking $12,500. I don't know what his mark up is, or what it's actually worth. Good deal or no?

I have to agree with Hobbit. No dealer gives nothing away unless he sees a quick profit. Can stay in business if you don't make no money.
Kemo

I think you need to find out what's in it for him and do you want to trade in your sporty, how many miles, cost of upgrades, etc...

Why does he want to trade a bigger bike for a smaller bike anyway? It does not sound right, that bike has more miles on it sounds like, I would look into it more, you may be better off keeping your sporty.

wasnt there a program offered with sportsters this past year ,if you buy a 09 sportster you can trade up to a bigger bike and get the full purchase price you paid for your sportster towards it.

XL; I just did a quick search of completed listings on ebay. '09 sportsters are selling for a bit more than '05 dynas. Neither are selling close to blue book. I have found ebay to be a good indicator of what bikes are really selling for, vs asking price. From your descriptions, I'd kinda lean towards keeping the sportster.

Pal, hang onto the Sportster...everybody needs a Sportster in the barn, and the 1200 is the best. Don't have one but hope to bag one someday.

As far as why the other party wants to trade? That wouldn't be an issue with me. When I get rid of something (which I very seldom do), I could care less what the new oner does with it...

2003 FLHRI 40K
2009 FLSTN 1K
1983 V-45 Sabre (freebee) (flattens eyeballs) 9K

I go along with keeping the sporster. The guy has to have some reason to trade for a smaller bike than just doing you a favor. You say you were there to buy parts. How long have you done business with this guy? Would you reccommend him to someone else?

I would not try to counsel you on wether it's a good deal or not.

Keep this in mind. HD will be taking in a ton of Sportsters on the "trade up" program. Their resale value is about to take a huge hit!

Supply and demand baby.

Just thinking this one through.
If you want a Dyna. Trade up program would allow you to trade up for a couple thousand bucks.

Dudes Superglide is over-priced by about 4 grand. Your Sporty is only worth about $9500. But the trade up program gets you onto a brand new Dyna with the 96 inch for cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back