free website stats program Extended Warranty | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended Warranty

I didnt extend my warranty for this reason.

All manufacturers offer them and they are priced as a huge profit center for them. Why else would they push them so hard? This means they take in a lot more money than they pay out in repairs and the odds are in their favor.

I know a lot of folks like the peace of mind...but I like my money in the bank to pay for my repairs if they come up.

I am simply playing the odds...but people win the lottery every day too. So each his own.

I agree with you, but I am also interested in finding out what tests are done to insure that HD makes a profit, rather than takes a loss. That information would be useful in making your own assessment, such that if your bike passes the test, then perhaps you should not get the ESP, as HD thinks you are a relatively low risk. But it is hard to know the demographics of HD riders. As Smitty mentioned, if you ride many miles it may be worth it, since the MoCo may know that most owners put on a "range" that is typical to make the ESP a profit center. If the ESP had a milage limit, (so far I can't find one) I think that would be a very telling piece of information.

But, if you didn't get the ESP when you bought your HD (for example), tacked on 50K miles and then were allowed to add it, that is an interesting option. I have not heard about any other vehicle manufacturer to off this. My assumption is that HD believe in offering this that there is still enough of an edge to make a profit based on the test the put your ride through.

tacked on 50K miles and then were allowed to add it, that is an interesting option.

That is indeed interesting that HD would let you add an ESP on a bike with 50k miles on it. You would think there'd be a max mileage on bikes permitted eligible for the plan. Interesting.

Any idea if this will be offered in Canada. I bought my bike used from a dealer and got the ESP which just expired last month. I like to have some piece of mind.

Any idea if this will be offered in Canada. I bought my bike used from a dealer and got the ESP which just expired last month. I like to have some piece of mind.

Actually, the gentleman on the phone yesterday said this was being offered by HD globally, so I would think that Canada would have it unless there is some law that forbids it. But I will add that question to the list. I may be able to head in and talk in person tonight and no matter when I get there, I will post what I find.

Again, I side more with Smitty on this since I put 40K on my UC in about 2 years.

One thing to note, while I'm in the automotive finance business and sell extended service plans (extended warranties) and as such am a firm believer in same, one thing I learned the HARD way.
When I had my DWG it began using an excessive amount of oil, no leaks and could not locate the usage. Upon reading the ESP I had on it from HD, the ESP clearly stated that excessive oil usage from worn rings/valve guides were not covered.
Still a good policy to have if you put a lot of miles on one if you're like me, as I tell my customers, I can sell the unit, I can finance the unit, but I'm not a tech, I can't do major repairs on the unit.

Smitty, I bought a 2001 Heritage in 2009 with 42K miles and they sold me a two year extended warranty. I usually do not get extended warranty but with this OLD bike, I had nothing. SO the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty sounded good to me at the time.
Now I dont know about much - but I am surely hoping that since they DID sell me the warranty, that They (HD Dealership) thought the bike must be pretty good shape or they might loose the gamble. what do you think?

Bill

2009 aint old :)
The extended can be bough normally anytime up till the day the factory expires.
Extended warranty is a good idea IMO if you ride a lot of miles. I have seen riders that don't ride 1000 miles a year for them maybe not.
No madder what anyone say a 2009 is a fine ride

Smitty - re-read - its a 2001 bike with 42K miles. I bought it used in 2009 and was offered the extended warranty and I bought 2 years of warranty.

Bill

I did read it and I had heard you could buy an extend warranty on used bike not older than 10 years and under 75K just did not know for sure.
If I were buying a used bike with the way I ride the extend warranty would be first on the list.
Ok I knew I saw it some were here is the deal
"Used bikes that are ten years old or newer and have less than 75,000 miles qualify for extended warranty coverage for up to five years."
At the end of the page:
Hal's Harley-Davidson Inc., Wisconsin, Harley-Davidson, Buell, motorcycle, dealer.
;-) Once again - short and to the point - Thanks Smitty. I always like reading your posts here.

NOW - IF it were your bike, would you have the tensioners checked/replaced at your expense - about $300 to inspect up to $1000 to replace, or have trust in the extended warranty to cover IF they tear completely up?

Bill

I have attached the paper work from my dealer. The pricing would be the "used" pricing at the bottom of the first page. My dealer said that they would offer (not all dealers will offer this, but they may as an option) the tire/wheel coverage at the time of inspection if you get 2 new tires installed. If you don't, you can't get the tire/wheel coverage. Additionally, my dealer is not charging for the inspection, regardless of the outcome (pass/fail). This inspection fee is also up to the dealer as to charge for it or not. He said if there is a huge interest they may charge given the impact to the shop, but right now there is no pressure and he didn't want to get into charging people for a passing inspection who then decide not to take the ESP. Right now they are saying it is 1/2 hr of labor @ $45 for the inspection. So, since it is free for me, I see no reason not to have mine "inspected". The actual items inspected/checklist is attached as well.

This progam applies to any HD under 10 years old and under 75k miles, no matter where or who you bought it from. No matter if it had an extended warranty previously or not.

This program is being rolled out to a few select dealers in a few states, but sometime in the first quarter of 2011 it will be nationwide. The business manager could not accurately comment on whether Canada would have this option, but he said it is supposed to be a global HD option, so Canada should get it (and the rest of the world) unless it is forbidded by country laws for some reason.

I think the 3rd page of the PDF file explains the "300 mile exclusion" pretty well.

I tried to pry a bit about the demographics of HD riders and profitability of this program, but I didn't make much head way. What I did get was:
My wife has a 2002 dyna low with 5K, I have a 2007 UC with 40K. She rides about 1000 miles a year. Me, so far, about 20k/year. What would you do?
He said leave the Dyna alone. Get the ESP for the UC, odds are you will use it. I felt this was a pretty straight answer and in-line with my thinking and the thoughts that Smitty and others have posted. I think this is a profit center for most, given the demographics and habits of most HD owners. I think my mileage and usage is outside that range.

I bought mine used and got the ESP because I didn't know about the previous owner. If this option becomes the norm, it may make sense to purchase ESP after you have put some miles on your ride....picking up 5 years of ESP on a 9 year old HD with 60-74K on the odometer sounds pretty good to me. Especially if you have been good about routine maintenance and fluids.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would an administrator please add this to the above post? I forgot and am outside the time limit for editing the original:

Note: There is no milage limit AFTER you sign up/get approved. This also speaks to the riding habits of most HD owners.

Attachments

• ESP.pdf
    798.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
At that mileage I would consider it before the two expires they may have been done already. I would go with the New style HYD ones if and when I replaced them.
Oh it will cover it but what if it goes 1 day after warranty expires?
Thanks Smitty - good sound advice!

Bill

Back