free website stats program Extended Warranty | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended Warranty

Porter

My extended warranty expired in July 2010. I was talking to a salesman at my dealer and he mentioned that HD is now offering to let people purchase an extended warranty, even if their original warranty has expired.

The dealership does an inspection and if your bike passes you can purchase the warranty. I asked about prices and the dealer said that it was about $1000 for a year and about $1200 for 3 years, so that seemed about the same as if you bought it new. I asked how long the inspection would take and he said he didn't know as they have not done one yet. This offer is apparently brand new.

I thought this was interesting. I know there are many views to extended warranties, and if they are worth the money. But, if you look at an extended warranty as something that generates profit for a company, they this seems to indicate that either 1.) HD is a pretty well made vehicle or 2.) HD has a clear list of items that are likely to fail and will inspect for them, thus denying your coverage. Then again maybe they are looking for "extreme mods". I didn't ask what they do in the inspection, but I think I will go back later this week and ask.

Does anyone else have info on this option?

I didn't ask that specifically, but the salesman said that "HD was offering" this option and this was the first time ever, so I mand an assumption.
I am going to call today and get more details.

Never heard of an HD extended warranty you could buy after factory expired. MAre you sure this is not some aftermarket.
Smitty, I bought a 2001 Heritage in 2009 with 42K miles and they sold me a two year extended warranty. I usually do not get extended warranty but with this OLD bike, I had nothing. SO the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty sounded good to me at the time.
Now I dont know about much - but I am surely hoping that since they DID sell me the warranty, that They (HD Dealership) thought the bike must be pretty good shape or they might loose the gamble. what do you think?

Bill

From phone conversation with Old Glory HD in Laurel, Maryland.

ESP protection is now being offered as a purchase option on any Harley Davidson. Select dealers will be rolled out first (now) but in the first quarter of next year, is should be available at all dealerships. It is an HD product and it is the exact same product offered when you purchase a new HD.

In order to purchase the plan:
1 year through 5 years @ $774, $1019, $1199, $1490 and $1896 you have to have your bike inspected.

The inspection is expected to take approxmately 1/2 hour and cover a compression test, transmission check, all fluids checked and all guages.

There is a 300 mile exclusion, meaning that if after the inspection, if the motor implodes, HD is off the hook.

FYI.

From phone conversation with Old Glory HD in Laurel, Maryland.

ESP protection is now being offered as a purchase option on any Harley Davidson. Select dealers will be rolled out first (now) but in the first quarter of next year, is should be available at all dealerships. It is an HD product and it is the exact same product offered when you purchase a new HD.

In order to purchase the plan:
1 year through 5 years @ $774, $1019, $1199, $1490 and $1896 you have to have your bike inspected.

The inspection is expected to take approxmately 1/2 hour and cover a compression test, transmission check, all fluids checked and all guages.

There is a 300 mile exclusion, meaning that if after the inspection, if the motor implodes, HD is off the hook.

FYI.

So you have to purchase a bike, have the inspection done, and then buy the warranty? Can you bring in a bike you already own and go through the same process or do you have to buy the bike first, new or used?

Not sure I understand the 300 mile exclusion. If my motor imploded within 300 miles and HD claimed they were "off the hook," I sure would expect a 100% refund of my warranty money I'd paid. Especially after THEY had performed an inspection!

Dr. Dolittle,
Can you bring in a bike you already own and go through the same process: YES. That is what I was told.
It applies to any HD. I was told you do not have to have had a previous ESP plan. Nor does it only apply to a "new purchase" or "new to you purchase".

I did not ask about a refund, but I believe HD would refund your money if you had an issue within 300 miles. I don't know if they charge you for the inspection. I didn't ask about that, but I would think that there is no fee if you pass the inspection and then buy the plan. If you a have a major issue within 300 miles, I don't know if your plan is canceled or perhaps you just have to pay for the repair. Then after the 300 mile mark, you are covered. I am going to go down to the dealer some time this week, if I can make time, and speak in person. Obviously I am interested in this issue and option. One of the reasons I posted this is to generate more questions, as I never think of them all.

I called another HD dealer in MD (HD of Maryland) and they said the same thing, although that store won't roll this our until the new year. Old Glory HD of Laurel has it as an option now, as it was one of the stores selected for early launch.

But by all means, call your favorite dealer and ask. I figure the more info about this new program the better.

I got the impression that HD is trying this to idea out. It may not be offered forever if it doesn't generate the income, but it is potentially a good option for those that want ESP.

Last edited:
Does the $50 charge apply like in the original ESP for each repair? Can I extend my ESP longer if I want? Just a couple more questions for you.

Does the $50 charge apply like in the original ESP for each repair? Can I extend my ESP longer if I want? Just a couple more questions for you.

Dealer said that what is being offered is the ESP plan, same as before, so I would think that the $50 charge would still apply, but I will aske to be sure.

I will ask about the extension of the ESP as well.

Thanks.

I didnt extend my warranty for this reason.

All manufacturers offer them and they are priced as a huge profit center for them. Why else would they push them so hard? This means they take in a lot more money than they pay out in repairs and the odds are in their favor.

I know a lot of folks like the peace of mind...but I like my money in the bank to pay for my repairs if they come up.

I am simply playing the odds...but people win the lottery every day too. So each his own.

Back