free website stats program Exhaust | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust

just out of curiosity, how do you come up with that? Smaller one on the left cause that is the crossover side I assume?

For the best performance 2 into 1 is the best exhaust to get, but most touring have the crossover and dual out the back. Most of the exhaust comes from the right side. I heard some people put smaller on the left and some put bigger on the left. I'm not 100% sure why you wold put bigger on the left, but that's what I've heard. Some of the 10's touring like the SG have a 2 into 1, maybe better performance, but personally I don't like the look, it just looks unbalanced to me.

Because of the "Y" pipe most of the exhaust exits on the right for better scavenging. If you find because of your setup with the cam and flowed heads it isn't enough go to the 1 1/2" left and 2" on the right. Shouldn't need any more than that.

I feel the same way about the 2-into-1 exhaust. I just really like two mufflers. I guess I should pull my baffles out and see what size they are.

You know that commercial "try it, you'll like it" you just got all this stuff done, just got the bike back from being dyno'd, the deer told you to go home and ride later, so I would relax, take a break and give it a really good test ride this weekend and see how you like it :D

just out of curiosity, how do you come up with that? Smaller one on the left cause that is the crossover side I assume?
I guess it wasn't so much of a concern until the closed-loop EFI came on the scene. The rear O2 sensor was mounted into the "crossover" if that's any indication to you of the primary flow (at least desired). The stock left "muffler" became a big hollow chamber with maybe 1/4" batting held in place around the perimeter with wire screening. The outlet is merely a tube about 8" long, folded closed on the inside end, and with a dozen pea-sized holes stamped through it along the buried portion. Obviously not meant to flow much. But it does help with the system gas volume and the quality of the sound.

When you put a couple of free-breathing mufflers on the pipes it causes some weirdness with what the rear O2 sensor sees. Sometimes just not enough to sample, and others, stuff it shouldn't be. By restricting the left side a bit you create a better environment for the engine/management to work with/into.

But it works okay-enough with a matched pair of mufflers. I ran a pair of 2" Rush on my '07 RK for about 24k miles. I have the same thing now on my '09 but the effect isn't quite the same with the new system. I think it actually works a little better now, but there was a nicer almost-on-the-verge-of-popping rumble on deceleration with the older setup that's largely absent now. Also, there used to be an ever-so-slightly stereophonic quality that is completely gone now. The new system truly is a 2-into-1-into-2.

Back